All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Isfahan,,,,,,,

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Well my long break ended after a few days.Just got the track for Isfahan this morning so heres my 2nd take at it.I really like how angular i sound here.A thing i've worked on alot.Enjoy i hope but i likes it.Me and Chris talked about how the 1st couple of takes are the best.I could work a while on this tune but just having a quick look at the form and going with it i find works best.You escape them well known used licks i think and your true style,sound comes in to play.

www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Good to have you back Davey.

Lovely tune which works well on tenor - I've got lovely versions by Lew Tabackin, Tommy Smith and Joe Henderson. Could this be another candidate for Ballad of the Month, or maybe it is more of a mid tempo number.

Rhys

Mike

You have such a quality sound top to bottom and it doesn't matter which type of horn/voice you're using.
Pro status!

Ha, that's how I go about playing too. I can't stand looking at structure because then it makes me have to think about it and that's where I get screwed up. I just like response because, for me, the less thought and the more response makes it more who I am good or bad.

It's easy to fall back on licks we've come to know and lean on. It's another issue altogether to let go of them and play from the heart, which you've displayed here.
I really enjoyed your improv!

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
If that's along break I would hate to think what a short one would be like. Mind you you can't keep a good player quiet for long. It sits well on tenor this one Davey, just curious as to why you never seem to wander back to the melody at the end of the improv.. If someone caught the last minute of this they would have no idea what you are playing. Not a critique just an observation..Or am I listening with an old fashioned ear..Still sounds good as usual though..

Chris...

daveysaxboy

Good to have you back Davey.

Lovely tune which works well on tenor - I've got lovely versions by Lew Tabackin, Tommy Smith and Joe Henderson. Could this be another candidate for Ballad of the Month, or maybe it is more of a mid tempo number.

Rhys

You have such a quality sound top to bottom and it doesn't matter which type of horn/voice you're using.
Pro status!

Ha, that's how I go about playing too. I can't stand looking at structure because then it makes me have to think about it and that's where I get screwed up. I just like response because, for me, the less thought and the more response makes it more who I am good or bad.

It's easy to fall back on licks we've come to know and lean on. It's another issue altogether to let go of them and play from the heart, which you've displayed here.
I really enjoyed your improv!

I love Tommy Smith and well Henderson is a God.I think the ballad of the month is a great chance to find,pick rare ballads.This tune is been up on here a few times by people.Keep things fresh i think.

Cheers Mike.Yea Sonny Rollins is the number 1 guy that learns the form then forgets it so to speak and he plays with the theme alot.I enjoy Bebop but dont enjoy playing alot of it as i feel you get kind of forced into just playing the chords and i feel atad restrained.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

I love Tommy Smith and well Henderson is a God.I think the ballad of the month is a great chance to find,pick rare ballads.This tune is been up on here a few times by people.Keep things fresh i think.

Cheers Mike.Yea Sonny Rollins is the number 1 guy that learns the form then forgets it so to speak and he plays with the theme alot.I enjoy Bebop but dont enjoy playing alot of it as i feel you get kind of forced into just playing the chords and i feel atad restrained.
Which is why I would take dense chorded tunes and let my ear only guide me. It's actually a great way to enhance the ear. No one is forcing anyone to play a specific way. That's only a societal construct that has been implemented over time. It means nothing. Chords are only there for reference. They are not there to inhibit potential harmonies which we have easy access to experiment with at Will. Chris and I recorded 6 CD's with this very method.

It's kind of like walking a precarious line, but the illusion is You can never falter because it's always relegated to subjectivity.

daveysaxboy

If that's along break I would hate to think what a short one would be like. Mind you you can't keep a good player quiet for long. It sits well on tenor this one Davey, just curious as to why you never seem to wander back to the melody at the end of the improv.. If someone caught the last minute of this they would have no idea what you are playing. Not a critique just an observation..Or am I listening with an old fashioned ear..Still sounds good as usual though..

Chris...

If i was doing my trio,duo or solo jazz gigs i would but this is for ME so the longer i solo the better !!!!!!!!i've played the theme now its ME ME ME, i have a rep on extra long live blows!!!!!!!! i'm a legend for it.Once my eyes close thats it.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
If i was doing my trio,duo or solo jazz gigs i would but this is for ME so the longer i solo the better !!!!!!!!i've played the theme now its ME ME ME, i have a rep on extra long live blows!!!!!!!! i'm a legend for it.Once my eyes close thats it.

:))):))):thumb:

Chris..

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom