PPT mouthpieces

Is there a problem with my TJ Alto?

PCthug

Firstly i have only been playing for 2-3 months, so still VERY new at this.

Not sure if i have a problem with my TJ Alto or not.
I will try my best to describe this without the need of photos.
The LH little finger key (G#) does not have any felt or cork on it, where (as far as i can see) all the other keys do.
When its pressed it pushes down onto the body, and also has a link piece that 'slightly' presses the keys next to it down too opening up the third hole down from the bell ever so slightly too.
The link section that touches the other keys doesnt have any felt/cork on it either, so this G# key is metal to metal on the body and the keys next to it.
Is this correct?
Can others who own this horn please check theirs to see if there is a problem or not?

Metal on metal links on saxes always have some sort of cushioning between them to reduce the clatter and allow for some adjustment (someone will no doubt point out that that's not strictly true), so I would think some cork has dropped off. It happens - not at all unusual.

I can certainly see the sense in that.
I will see if anyone owns this horn who can check for me and see if theirs opens up this lower hole when pressed too.

Sorry, forgot that bit. No, it shouldn't. It should be the other way round. Pressing any of the left hand little finger keys should open the G# hole (halfway up the sax) but the G# key should only open the the G# hole. Sounds like the little connection is back to front. Only the C# key should open that hole 3rd from the bell.

Yeah, the other keys did open the G# key when pressed too.
I have found the smallest piece of cork in my case (about the size of a grain of rice) and glued it under the key stop. The G# now opens, but doesnt touch the other keys (at the bottom of the link piece).
The link piece did have felt on the top of it, where it made contact with the other little finger keys.
Not sure how long its been like that for as i only noticed that my tenor that i bought today didnt do that.
Thanks for your help.

It wouldn't have affected things much - if at all. Generally an open tone hole below the note you're playing doesn't matter, even if it should be closed. The tube should be completely closed down to the tone hole that produces the note you're playing, and small leaks above this will cause problems. Octave keys are an exception of course, but they should only open when the octave key is pressed - and only one at a time, although both can be open as you switch from a note which requires the neck octave pip and a note which requires the body pip. Going from A octave to F octave would be an example.

It didnt really effect anything (to my highly tuned ear....not), but just didnt look...right.
Metal to metal cant be good either.
Thanks for your help so fa guys.

Thanks for that.
Mine most certainly did have the piece of cork missing, it is clearly visibly in your first photo.
i have glued the peice i found in the case into place, so all should be well now.
Thanks again...

MATT

Back
Top Bottom