All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Is Soundcloud.com blocked by the company you work for?

QWales

I tend to read most of the new post that come through this site but recently there have been quite a lot of people posting their music via soundcloud. The company I work for allows access to YouTube but not soundcloud and I was interested in knowing if anyone else has this issue?

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
My work computers block Youtube and allow Soundcloud

Are you sure you're blocked on Soundcloud 'cos it seems to be very temperamental and there's many a time it simply doesn't work for me whether at home or at work for no apparent reason?

dubrosa22

My company blocks soundcloud (but not YouTube or many other popular audio/video sites). We are a national broadcaster so maybe they worry about information or data leaks. Still they allow uploads to YouTube, Vimeo etc. so go figure.

It's annoying because I can't listen to many members recordings during my lunch hour.

Sent from my Xperia

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Most companies operate either 'whitelists' of sites to which access is permitted, or, they have a rule-set via the AV/firewall software which categorises sites and certain classes are allowed/blocked. For example, anything described as 'social' is blocked where I work. I can log onto this forum, but often not to some of the links, e.g. flickr.

QWales

Are you sure you're blocked on Soundcloud '
Oh yes I am definitely sure it is blocked, our company does not like the idea of anyone being able to store company data on the web and let others download it. It's an attempt at stopping this kind of thing happening but anyone in the know would be aware that there are lots of sites where this can be done and there is almost no chance of being able to block them all.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Oh yes I am definitely sure it is blocked, our company does not like the idea of anyone being able to store company data on the web and let others download it. It's an attempt at stopping this kind of thing happening but anyone in the know would be aware that there are lots of sites where this can be done and there is almost no chance of being able to block them all.
Yes our web access is nailed down fairly tightly and upgrades to flash, adobe and other peripheral programs that make media work are generally not done so I was surprised to find that the only time I can't listen to soundcloud is when the website itself isn't playing ball rather than being blocked by malevolent IT

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Could you ask for it to be released?
Where I used to work, any web address with the word "mail" in it was blocked as a rudimentary attempt to stop people accessing web-based mail servers (hotmail, googlemail etc) however it meant the the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers were also blocked.
I worked in marketing, and on occasions I needed to access these newspaper sites to check what was being discussed about our projects and products.
A simple request to the IT department and they released the sites that I legitimately needed.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hmmm - how do you justify soundcloud for work, unless you're employed on the musical side??

QWales

Hmmm - how do you justify soundcloud for work, unless you're employed on the musical side??
Yep, I can't think of a reason an IT techie would need it, especially when he already has access to YouTube. Maybe our Marketing dept will request it some time soon, they regularly manage to arrange the unblocking of restricted media related sites.

QWales

Just discovered I can access SoundClick but still not SoundCloud. Confused the one for the other for a minute there and thought It was all sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom