Tutorials

Is it wrong to covet another mans...

Chris98

...Mouthpiece?

I don't know how it happened but over the last week and a half I've unexpectedly found myself in this position and feeling really bad about it. Have I broken one of the laws of saxophone etiquette?

What's more frustrating is trying to work out what the allure of this lump of metal (beautifully crafted and elegantly plated in gold with matching ligature) is.

Is it particularly versatile? No, my PPT is far more versatile.
Is it easy to play? No, I have to work at it.
Is it a pristine example? No, it's seen years of use and as such has gained character.
If I were to have just one mouthpiece would it be the one? NO, that honour goes without question to the PPT.

So what is it about it? I have no idea.

I played it in my lesson this morning and Kate said it had a nice strong tone, she'd not recommend it for use in an exam though. But if I were thinking of lead tenor playing she'd not hesitate to suggest I get one! We then both agreed that my tendency is to hide and not looking for a spotlight!

I fear my hours with this mouthpiece are now numbered and it will slip slowly into the past, but never forgotten.

Yours truly smitten,

Chris

jonf

Do you know what I'd do? Just buy the bloody thing. But then I am an unashamed and unreconstructed mouthpiece tart.

rhysonsax

What mouthpiece is it ? There are a few clues in your original post, and I would guess at a Lawton, but that's because I am smitten with Lawtons.

Rhys

OP
Chris98

Chris98

What mouthpiece is it ? There are a few clues in your original post, and I would guess at a Lawton, but that's because I am smitten with Lawtons.

Rhys
Rhys, you guessed it correct, the Lawton!

Do you know what I'd do? Just buy the bloody thing. But then I am an unashamed and unreconstructed mouthpiece tart.
Jon, I'd love to throw caution to the wind and just order one but alas at the moment it might as well be a Theo Wanne! There's just no way I can justify spending anymore money on this foolhardy saxophone escapade of mine! Maybe next year, but then VAT goes up...

Me too, at least this doesn't count as bigamy....
Kev, I never thought of you as being someone with a mouthpiece 'problem' ;}

Best wishes,

Chris

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My mouth's always been my problem, with or without a piece...

Am watching a Lawton '6 star B' on ebay Germany at the moment. Currently just over 100... and 4h 36m to go. Was hoping to pick it up cheap, but I think it'll go for over 150 - too much for me.

OP
Chris98

Chris98

My mouth's always been my problem, with or without a piece...

Am watching a Lawton '6 star B' on ebay Germany at the moment. Currently just over 100... and 4h 36m to go. Was hoping to pick it up cheap, but I think it'll go for over 150 - too much for me.
Hello Kev,

Used Lawtons seem to exchange hands at a similar price as they cost new, maybe there is an argument that the Geoff Lawtons carry an intrinsic value, but personally I figure I'd buy new if and when it comes to it.

I've just finished recording an appropriate tune (I've got a crush on you) using the Lawton, so at least I'll have that to remember it by when I have to hand it back :(

Best wishes,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hello,

Last night I was ready to hand the mouthpiece back, and was slightly surprised when my friend said that he didn't get on with it, and so if I wanted to make him an offer...

So I'm now in quandary, I like it a lot and it'd be great to have it, but I really have no idea how much would reasonable to offer to make. Could anyone give me a ball park figure for a Lawton (Geoff) 6BB gold plated with original cap and ligature. It's not a pristine example but plays well.

Also, I was under the impression that the BB version should be bright and aggressive, but I'm not finding that, sure it's got a bit more edge than my PPT but it's not a paint stripper if you know what I mean.

Any help gratefully appreciated,

Chris

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The Lawton I was watching went for just over 180, and it wasn't gold plated, not sure if this helps. Things that are recognised as good here tend to be a bit expensive.

jonf

Kev's about right with the cost. From what I've seen and sold myself, for a mouthpiece with a bit of use but still having the lig and reed cover, about £150. Good nick ones a bit more. I sold one, a good player in cosmetically ropy condition without the cap for about a hundred. So Chris, I'd offer him something about £140-£150. I really wouldn't pay that much more whatever the manufactured hype about original Geoff Lawton pieces. You can get a brand new one from his son, wide choice available from sax.co.uk for £238.

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Jon and Kev,

Thanks for your help, that's the sort of figure I had in my head £150 - £180, but just wanted to know I was not underestimating it's value. Unfortunately however tempting it is, I'm painfully aware of other expenses coming up I'm not sure I can justify that sort of money.

Thanks for your help again,

All the best,

Chris

Top Bottom