Tutorials

Saxophones Is it possible to change the plating of the keywork?

Gallen

I just saw this horn and I absolutely love the contrast between the keywork and bell. Ok, so I have a thing for metal in a matte finish. Question: Is it possible to get an existing saxophone's keywork to look like that? Are they artisans that do this? Would changing the color of my keyguards allow me to improve my overtones? :w00t:

Thanks!

Alvin

Last edited by a moderator:

griff136

I just saw this horn and I absolutely love the contrast between the keywork and bell. Ok, so I have a thing for metal in a matte finish. Question: Is it possible to get an existing saxophone's keywork to look like that? Are they artisans that do this? Would changing the color of my keyguards allow me to improve my overtones? :w00t:

Thanks!

Alvin

Hi Alvin anything is possible if you have the money. if your sax is lacquered you can have the lacquer removed and then the bare brass dipped in a formula which ages the brass to look vintage. The keys can then be plated to suit your taste - once youve done the metalwork then its all new corks, felts, and pads and refit the springs.

I can get it done for you your looking at around £400 for the body work, and then around £20 per key for plating and then aorund the £350 mark for the repad

You wouldnt get much change out of £1200 and I suppose the sax you put in the link is probably not much more than that.

Gallen

Hi Griff! That was a fast reply, thanks! :) I'm mainly curious, but would you be the person to speak to when my pads die and I want to do this to my student horn? :) Mainly interested in the keyword; I'm happy with my body's gold lacquered finish as it is.

Alvin

Gallen

Hi Griff!
It's not something I want to do real soon, but I'd like to just get the keywork into that matte metal finish. Maybe when my pads die :)

Regards,
Alvin

Andante cantabile

Gallen;42321Would changing the color of my keyguards allow me to improve my overtones? [/QUOTE said:
Definitely. Without a doubt. In another thread (I think it was on lacquering) milandro noted the view held by some that red cars go faster. The same principle would apply here.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Alvin,

You can buy a sax Martin HC (Comm I). I have a tenor, nearly no laquer at all left, in bare brass with solid nickelsilver keys. All is matte!! I just dust my horn. No polishing.

My Martin HC (Comm I) -38! I use the sax nearly every day! The seller told me: It's a killer!

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=DSC_0045.jpg

Thomas

Much better way of doing it. The first way is just throwing money away. And if the keys aren't matte enough, get them bead blasted before repadding.

Gallen

Good tips everyone! I am mainly curious if it's possible. No GAS at the moment, sadly, still sound quite crappy - gimme a few years with my SA5 and I'll look into buying a nice matte horn ;-)

Alvin

Top Bottom