support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Is it me?

DaveC

I started playing 12 months ago with a Boosey & Hawkes Lafleur Tenor after struggling for a few months my teacher suggested I might be better off with an alto.So I purchased a TJ The Horn alto and OMG what a difference so quick and easy to get from note to note not like the Tenor even though it had a full set up not so long ago I find it so much harder and slower to react than the alto.
Now my question is this a normal difference between tenor and alto?Im thinking of upgrading the tenor because I know its not the best in the world but will that improve things?I was thinking about a TJ tenor but I take it I would be better off with a Bauhaus??????

Taz

Busking Oracle
I think that most of us who play two horns find there is a difference in playing. Personally I find it the other way around. I mainly play tenor and find the alto (which is a five year old Earlham, compared to a fifty year old Amati tenor) a little harder, somewhat resistant, still a blast to play though. The tenor, however, is still a breeze! Try going to a good music shop in your area and try out a selection of horns of varying price range. It may not help you at all, but at least you'll have good fun!

SteveK

I think it depends a lot on what music you are playing and how much time you send on each instrument. A well setup horn and the right MP/reed combination for you, can make so much difference.
I find the tenor harder to get a good sound from if I am not practicing it regularly - it seems to be less forgiving and the sound can be quite thin and exposed without plenty of playing time.
Then again there are some things that just sound great on the tenor that just don't carry well on the alto and vice versa.

Fact of the matter is that if you have tenor and alto set-ups that are both suitable there shouldn't really be a big difference - you just need to keep working at it and it will come.

You got 12 months in the bank which is great but you might want to maintain focus on one instrument for a while longer before you go jumping about.

Steve

Pee Dee

B&H Lafleur eh? Ever thought of 'upgrading' your tenor?
I got one of them, and now I'm passing from the beginner to intermediate stage, (I think), finding it a bit of a struggle on the Lafleur. Got a Bauhaus Walstein in my mind for next year;}

ArtyLady

I have the opposite problem!

I played a TJ Classic Horn Alto for 18 months - then indulged myself in a TJ RevII Tenor this summer which plays and blows so much more easily! I'm still struggling with the intonation and the lower notes a little but I'm getting there - and I think my embouchure lets me down at the moment so lots of long tones, scales etc.:D

The alto is so resistant to me that I don't play it at all anymore yet the Technician who checked it out for me says it blows fine so I know there's nothing wrong with it :confused:

Ben Cain

Hi

I play my JK tenor mostly and am going ot take Grade 5 in the new year. I also play TJ Sig Alto, much easier to blow )breathe into) than the tenor but the tenor is my sound of choice although the alto is great to play occasionally.
My alto improved when I moved from Link ebonite 5* to a Ponzol M1 metal mpc.
Have fun and merry christmas
Ben

OP
D

DaveC

B&H Lafleur eh? Ever thought of 'upgrading' your tenor?
I got one of them, and now I'm passing from the beginner to intermediate stage, (I think), finding it a bit of a struggle on the Lafleur. Got a Bauhaus Walstein in my mind for next year
Hi Pee Dee
That realy was the reason for my question,Im thinking of upgrading the old B&H originally to a TJ tenor but having read this forum Im now thinking that the BW may be a better option???
What I dont want to do is spend £500++ on a new sax and find it plays no better than what I have got :confused:
I know the obvious thing to do is go and try some and see what I think the problem is decent sax shops near me in Lincoln seem to be non existent?

ArtyLady

I would definately try before you buy - I tried my Tenor in a local shop and was won over straight away. When I wanted a Soprano - tried two (a TJ and a Mauriat) - felt like I was blowing through a straw so I didn't get one.

Young Col

:))):))) Ho Ho! (that was Father Christmas chortling)

Seriously, it must be worth making even a fairly lengthy round trip to a reputable dealer to try different ones out, especially if you are not really sure what difference to expect between makes and models.
Colin

Top Bottom