All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Irish Music

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
A bit off topic I know, but... Please

A friend has heard of an Irish folk music collection known informally as the bible. Any ideas which book/author this is?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
"O'neills Jigs & reels".. thats the only one I know that attempts to be comprehensive

bariandyf

Hi Kev/Jules, I play a lot of Irish music - if you mean The Dance Music of Ireland O'Neill's 1001 Jigs Reels etc, it's a commonly used reference for tunes, though I've never heard it called the bible, perhaps it is, however the author or collector of the tunes was Francis O'Neill (1848-1936), born in County Cork, and who became the Police Chief in Chicago, so the versions are quite old, and were mostly versions played in the states, and the tunes sometimes got changed slightly in travelling across the water.
A better reference for tunes is Ceol Rince Na hEireann, by Brendan Breathnach, there are about 5 or 6 volumes now I think. The versions of the tunes are much more up to date, and they contain the tunes you'd be more likely to hear played today in sessions.

hope this helps.

Sunray

Irish Music - Visual Bible Gospel of Matthew, John ... Etc

Hey Kev ...

Or could this help? [Link]

Scroll down ... There's more Gospels

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Have you tried the U2 website?

Apologies for being serious.
Thin Lizzy as well, but it's folk music she's looking for, especially lyrics/ballads.
I guess there's a Dubliners song book or two about.

Sunray

Thin Lizzy as well, but it's folk music she's looking for, especially lyrics/ballads.
I guess there's a Dubliners song book or two about.
Irish Folk Songbook

[Link Here]

Traditional Irish Songs

Irish Songs With Lyrics and Easy Chords for Guitar, Banjo Etc

A collection of 600+ favourite Irish songs or songs often believed to have Irish connections

[And Here]

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Very willing to donate my CD of the The Dubliners but not Planxty.

There must be some ITM sites on the web, you might try Chiff and Fipple for whistle / flute, preferably wooden, or Mudcat which has some bits that might be useful.

Apologies for being jocular.

les3716

Hi Kev/Jules, I play a lot of Irish music - if you mean The Dance Music of Ireland O'Neill's 1001 Jigs Reels etc, it's a commonly used reference for tunes, though I've never heard it called the bible, perhaps it is, however the author or collector of the tunes was Francis O'Neill (1848-1936), born in County Cork, and who became the Police Chief in Chicago, so the versions are quite old, and were mostly versions played in the states, and the tunes sometimes got changed slightly in travelling across the water.
A better reference for tunes is Ceol Rince Na hEireann, by Brendan Breathnach, there are about 5 or 6 volumes now I think. The versions of the tunes are much more up to date, and they contain the tunes you'd be more likely to hear played today in sessions.

hope this helps.
I would agree with bariandyf.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

hope this helps.
It helps a lot, thanks. Sorry, I missed this before. :ashamed Thanks to Les for pointing it out to me!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom