support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording iphone recording

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I was having a good time in my practice session tonight and thought I was sounding ok but after hearing on my iphone it sounded rubbish question is is it all me or the phone .

Also so you know its the app thats on the phone when you get it .

I was having a good time in my practice session tonight and thought I was sounding ok but after hearing on my iphone it sounded rubbish question is is it all me or the phone .

I have never used the iphone app, but i would think it uses a limiter {to avoid distortion}
Try placing the Iphone further from the sax, and take in more of the rooms accustics, which is what you hear yourself.
]

It's the phone, it's only got a very poor mic and speaker.
If you can afford it buy a digital recorder such as Tascam or Zoom.

Probably a bit of both, but not necessarily for the reason you may think.

The iPhone, while it has a decent microphone especially if you put it a small distance away (I use mine all the time). However, it is not a professional-quality recording setup by any stretch. The speaker on the iPhone is also terrible; you will get a much better sound if you use headphones for playback.

Have you ever recorded yourself before? If not, then it's probably you in the sense that you've never really heard what you sound like. The sound you hear when you play is a combination of what is coming out of the horn and the vibrations travelling through your skull to ears. It's the same effect as when you record your speaking voice (when most people listen to a recording of themselves speaking for the first time, they are generally shocked). However, it is invaluable feedback to be able to hear and compare what you hear while you play with what the rest of the room is hearing and can really help you develop your sound.

Of course if you have recorded before, than it's probably the phone - if it's important, a better recording device as mentioned above is probably the way to go. :)

Probably a bit of both, but not necessarily for the reason you may think.

The iPhone, while it has a decent microphone especially if you put it a small distance away (I use mine all the time). However, it is not a professional-quality recording setup by any stretch. The speaker on the iPhone is also terrible; you will get a much better sound if you use headphones for playback.

Have you ever recorded yourself before? If not, then it's probably you in the sense that you've never really heard what you sound like. The sound you hear when you play is a combination of what is coming out of the horn and the vibrations travelling through your skull to ears. It's the same effect as when you record your speaking voice (when most people listen to a recording of themselves speaking for the first time, they are generally shocked). However, it is invaluable feedback to be able to hear and compare what you hear while you play with what the rest of the room is hearing and can really help you develop your sound.

Of course if you have recorded before, than it's probably the phone - if it's important, a better recording device as mentioned above is probably the way to go. :)

Good points. Made me recall, I have read a few posts of guys that use a cheap USB mic with some free software from the net, and they get good quality rec. may be another option, then you can join in the many playing threads, that even supply you with a free backing track.:)