One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Because I'm:

a) an idiot
b) have too much spare time
c) add any description you like but not too rude please

I've just enrolled for another Coursera online from Berklee. It started on 6 March for 6 weeks and has ended so no pressure to do any assignments but you can view the archives and discussions so I'm hoping to pick up some tips. I've never really got the hang of recording stuff and don't understand multi track blah blah so maybe this might clear things up for me.

Who's with me? I'll get me coat then....

Oh the link is https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

B'dragon

Locality
CT
I did this course and I found it very informative. I will never be a sound engineer, but I now have a better understanding of how the process works.

Throatnote

Locality
South Bucks, UK
Hi Sue
how is your course going?
I was also wondering which DAW you are using?
I'm trying to get a bit of a practice room going, that's recording and practicing friendly with not too much natural reverb.
its mainly for some decent backing tracks and learning tools and obviously to record and listen to my playing and try be a bit creative of course ans have a bit of fun recording.So I want to get set up before starting lessons.
BIAB is popular for jazz standards and the sounds are good.but I don't have any experience with DAW's.

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
It starts on Friday and to be honest I'd forgotten about it but now you've reminded me I'm looking forward to it and hoping to learn just some basics other than record/stop, add a bit of reverb, which is just about what I can manage just now.

I have some software which came with my Zoom h2n, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]WaveLab LE and I'm hoping this will be okay for the course as I don't want to spend loads on what is essentially a hobby. Many people on this forum use Audacity and find it to be a good DAW and free to download (always a bonus).

Not really sure what to expect but I'll post on here if there's something I understand well enough to share :)
[/FONT]

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
It's a good course and very informative..

Chris..

Throatnote

Locality
South Bucks, UK
Cheers Sue goodluck doing the ccourse .
ive heard a few people mention Audacity.

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Went through the first week's lectures and quizzes today.

The peer-reviewed assignments look really tedious to me, so I won't be doing those. Not much of the material was very relevant to my limited recording setup (Zoom H2 straight into computer) , but I thought the bits that were, were quite clearly presented.

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
I've watched the introduction video and the next one about propagation. I thought that was something to do with growing plants so I'm lost already. I'm hoping to watch the rest over the weekend. Like you I have a fairly limited setup - Zoom h2n plugged directly into Mac although I have managed to get a copy of Audition from a friend's son who is studying sound engineering at LCM. Not opened it yet so who knows if I'll manage it. Happy weekend :)

Jamesmac

Just watched the Videos up to and including the Frequency, and decided its time for a coffee break, but also how amazing our ears are, that take in all that info and crunch it up like a computer. to make sense of music/sound.

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Just watched the Videos up to and including the Frequency, and decided its time for a coffee break, but also how amazing our ears are, that take in all that info and crunch it up like a computer. to make sense of music/sound.
Oh, yes! And the physical mechnism is really impressive, too. The pressure variations for the quietest sounds you can hear and interpret are really tiny. And our ears are pretty insnsitive comapared to cats' and owls'.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
For those of you new to recording etc. If you are on a Mac then you should already have GarageBand. This is Mac's DAW, that and a simple mic are all you need.. If you aren't on a Mac, then 'Audacity' is OK as is 'Reaper'. One is fee and one very inexpensive.

Chris..

Dave McLaughlin

Sesquipedalian
Café Supporter
Locality
Paisley, Scotland
Oh, yes! And the physical mechnism is really impressive, too. The pressure variations for the quietest sounds you can hear and interpret are really tiny.

The bit that impresses me is the ossicles: the smallest bones in the body.

A lot of people are familiar with the concept of electrical impedance: the ratio of voltage to current. If you plug one component, say a cable, into another, say a loudspeaker, and the impedances don't match, a lot of the signal will be reflected.

There's an analogous concept in acoustics. A sound wave can be characterised by a fluctuating pressure and a fluctuating velocity. The ratio of pressure to velocity is the acoustic impedance, and impedance mismatches cause echoes, just like in electrical circuits.

The acoustic impedance is the square root of (density x speed of sound). In air, that's about 20 (in SI units); in water, it's about 1200. That means that, for a given amount of energy, a sound wave in air will have low fluctuating pressures and high fluctuating velocities. For the same energy, a wave in water will have higher pressures but lower velocities. That makes sense, because water is fairly incompressible compared with air, so even small velocity fluctuations will cause high pressures.

Sound waves reach the eardrum in air; they have to be transmitted to the cochlea, which is full of water. If the eardrum butted straight against the cochlea, the impedance mismatch would prevent most of the sound being transmitted. But the three smallest bones in the body are in between. They are a series of levers that turn large velocities and small forces (or pressures) into small velocities and large forces (or pressures). They act as an impedance converter - a fascinating piece of evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue

Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
For those of you new to recording etc. If you are on a Mac then you should already have GarageBand. This is Mac's DAW, that and a simple mic are all you need.. If you aren't on a Mac, then 'Audacity' is OK as is 'Reaper'. One is fee and one very inexpensive.

Chris..

I use Garageband Chris (and did so for the Improv course) but I fancied something a little more complicated and Logic Pro is a step too far so went for middle of the road with Audition, at the recommendation of my mate's son. Agree that garageband is a great bit of software and very easy to use. Thanks, as always, for the advice - you're so kind :)

Jamesmac

It's a good course and very informative..

Chris..

Hi Chris...Have you had experience with this course, i have been watching the videos and find its mostly for someone starting out with computer rec.
If you know where this is all leading would be helpful to know, as i use a different setup.
Thanks Jim:thumb:

Jamesmac

PS.
I use two hard disc rec that are the reminents of my project studio. from the mid 90,s i used a rackfull of sound modules then, but for my purposes now i just use the plugins that are included with sonar producer. I have bits i havent used for years, an Emu ESI4000 Sampler, MOTU Midi timepiece, but the VL70, I still use with the EWI, that has the patchman chip. I use Sonar Producer mainly for rearranging Midi and for mixing the audio from the HD Rec. and creating wav or Mp3 files. EQ and Effx can be done in the HD or in Sonar. I was hoping the course would touch on mixer HD rec as i have a Yamaha AW4416 that includes the 01 digital mixer, and i spend more time pressing buttons than playing/rec, so i tend to use the Fostex VF16 as its easier to use.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom