support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Introduction plus question

graeme.ellis

Locality
Middlesbrough UK
Hi Everyone

I am a new member, just signed up.
I bought my first sax about ten years ago, it was a cheap Jupitor alto and Ive never looked back, got my grades, bought a better horn, joined a couple of bands, blues, jazz etc
I now play Baritone in a Ska band on Teesside and its great fun although not very challenging and this Christmas Ive treated myself to a new Yamaha 62II tenor, hope I made a good choice?

I am thinking of setting myself up as a solo sax player doing weddings and stuff, does anyone know of a good place to find decent backing music, from chart stuff to funk to jazz ballards?

Happy Christmas to you all

Graeme:)

Hello Graeme, and welcome to the cafe. Good luck with your music venture.

Jim.

hi
good to hear from someone in my home town. now living in essex for the last 15 years but miss the boro (especially newbolds pease pudding)
anyway, sounds like a great choice of horn and best of luck with your plans.
Ben

Hi, welcome. I'm sure the others will chip in with backing tracks. Good luck with the tenor. Cracking instrument.

Welcome to the caff, Graeme.

ENJOY!

Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the cafe! Good luck with the venture :) and enjoy the new horn!

Paul

I am thinking of setting myself up as a solo sax player doing weddings and stuff, does anyone know of a good place to find decent backing music, from chart stuff to funk to jazz ballards?

Good luck. I did a wedding once as a solo. Hated it. Won't do it again unless someone begs me and tempts me with huge amounts of dosh. I'll stick with a band - much more fun.

Anyway, for backings I used a combination of stuff. I've been teaching for a while and so I've accumulated quite lot of various playalong books - Aebersold, Hal Leonard Jazz series, Guest Spot, Take the Lead. I augmented that with some midi files that I'd found on the net and some Band in a Box stuff. I used a decent sound module to convert these to files I could burn on a cd. Nowadays I'd have them all as mp3s on a laptop if was to do it again.

Isn't it lovely when new members take the time to introduce themselves before asking a question. Too many people just wade in and ask, and you don't know them from Adam. You don't usually see them again, either!

I have a bit of liking for ska, I must admit. I'm very keen on Leicester band, El Pussycat.

You made an excellent choice - the 62 is a 'proper' bit of kit.
Of course...you do realise that it's VERY bad luck to play a new horn between the 24th of December and the 5th of January...

Regards,

PS...only joking...it's the 24th to the 4th...

Hi Graeme

Welcome to the cafe hope you enjoy the company, and best of luck with your ambitions.I blow a 62 myself but it's an alto I'm afraid, I'm trying to ween myself off the ELKHART starter I bought but that's difficult because it's such a good horn...john

Hi good luck with the wedding ect mate hope you do well with it Tom.

Hello and welcome to the Cafe.

Try jazzbacks for backing track, mainly jazz standards.

Cheers from NZ

A very warm welcome from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in Wales - tidy, mind, look you...........! agree that you have a very decent horn in your hands - When I was choosing it was between the Yamaha and the Yanagisawa T901 - the rest was history, but I concentrate on the Alto myself.

If I were booking music for a wedding I would probably prefer a trio/quartet - live musicians rather than recorded backing (I had a trio of lute, violin and flute all those years ago - 21), with maybe just two musicians (sax/keys) to welcome people in - may be reasonably economic with other two joining later (bass/trumpet/drums or whatever - trumpet to give a break on lead).

Anyway I hope you have a great Christmas and enjoy your time on the Forum.
Kind regards
Tom

Welcome Graeme. Enjoy the caff.
Not sure I reckon the solo weddings idea either.
YC

Hi Graeme, yes I agree with several of the other replies - live musicians sound better and are much more fun to play with. Also, what are you going do play solidly for 2 or 3 hours or take solos and play them bits of your backing track in between? Pete

Back
Top Bottom