support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Intro into Improvisation, Gary Burton free course!

I've just enrolled for this. Not sure what I'm letting myself in for!

I've just enrolled for this. Not sure what I'm letting myself in for!

Saw this mentioned on another thread here the other day and thought I MUST look into it. Sounds worth a go if its genuinely free and not just a marketing ploy. I think I may give it a go too.

Saw this mentioned on another thread here the other day and thought I MUST look into it. Sounds worth a go if its genuinely free and not just a marketing ploy. I think I may give it a go too.

is it free? Then, one has to take into account other factors e.g. it's held in the USA (am I right? If so, then doesn't make if that "free" for those in the UK).

is it free? Then, one has to take into account other factors e.g. it's held in the USA (am I right? If so, then doesn't make if that "free" for those in the UK).

Hi Zannad, the course is online I believe.

From what I can gather, that video, put on by Chris is in 2010. The Coursera course is part of the Coursera group for 2013, with proper homework though not sure how they will mark it. The video, having only watched a little of it looks good material and probably a good look at some of what to expect.
Gary Burton certainly has the background and credentials for this, so I'll definately give this course my best shot!

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

Agree, have watched the first 30 mins of the video and I do like his approach.

Anyone thinking of having a go at this should have a look here http://youtu.be/t2txO_u2eNg interesting watch..

Chris...

I watched this right through 2 or 3 months ago and found it quite inspirational. Its long - about a couple of hours if memory serves, but worth it. Its knowing that this course is from the same guy that really got me interested in doing the course.

Seems like there are a few on Cafe Sax who are seriously thinking about this... I know they have some sort of link to others taking the course so perhaps us Cafe Saxers could keep in touch and find out how we're going as we go.
I think it could be a real challenge, but that's how we grow...right!

Seems like there are a few on Cafe Sax who are seriously thinking about this... I know they have some sort of link to others taking the course so perhaps us Cafe Saxers could keep in touch and find out how we're going as we go.

Jimu, perhaps nearer the time the guys that do the course can begin a thread about it?? It would be an interesting read..

Chris..

Yes, I'm up for that.

I hope so.

Came across this a few days ago...looks amazing.
Starting on 22nd April 2013...7-8 hours study recommended per week!

https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation

Definatley worth a gander or two!

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

Quick question. Having looked at the site I can't quite determine if you have to be on-line at a set time, or whether its video based and can be watched any time over a number of hours or even days. I see it says the next session is 22nd April. Did you get any more info on this when you signed up? Cheers

Quick question. Having looked at the site I can't quite determine if you have to be on-line at a set time, or whether its video based and can be watched any time over a number of hours or even days. I see it says the next session is 22nd April. Did you get any more info on this when you signed up? Cheers
No. I would imagine the idea is that you watch the videos at your own pace, and there would be deadlines for submitting the recorded assignments. Don't know what the peer-review process will consist of.

No. I would imagine the idea is that you watch the videos at your own pace, and there would be deadlines for submitting the recorded assignments. Don't know what the peer-review process will consist of.

Pretty much my understanding, we will just have to wait and see...I'm thinking of brushing up my understanding of scales & chords theory beforehand.

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

So I have just enrolled for this. Not a little nervous as been playing for a short time! I wouldn't call myself intermediate but I have been improvising with blues scales with my teacher and play an hour a day. I have six weeks to get some practice in. Nothing ventured nothing gained. At the worst my recordings may be useful o show people how not to do it!

See you all 'virtually' there.

Dee