All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Interesting solo, thoughts???

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Found this, played it a few times, not sure what to think to be honest, any thoughts??? definitely got that old-school vibe going on in there though...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f_CCnZTrUNI

Fraser. it`s a funny things but solos like this are often just too long and repetitive.( In this Occasion also Un-melodic) "the trumpets better". It`s a combination of the playing and poor arranging. Now I understand how in a live setting where the audience are really up for it dancing Raving whatever That sometimes it`s great to be able to extend the whole thing off the cuff and that`s a different matter if a band has the musical ability to do that genuinely then it`s very good for everyone the band get a real high and the audience get to keep going. ( I`ve just read the description and this was a serious gig in a serious Venue).

What I hate however is when you see the solos been taken in a Jazz format ( in a non jazz environment) like what you see here but IMHO it`s just OTT self indulgence and I doubt whether an audience is going to really dig it unless they are flying in which case they will be oblivious for it.
I love Old Rocksteady, Ska and Reggae but there is always a danger when modernising the stuff that it gets mutated into a parody without the real Rawness that the original stuff had (I`m going to sound patronising now) when I say that what I have heard of your band you seem more accurate. ( Off Topic again) We are all horn Players on this Forum but honestly do we all really want to hear 5 solos in a tune.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Didn't make it all the way through - tuning was too dire.

Clivey - guilty as charged. I used to throw all sorts of crap into my solos when I played in a ska-ish band. As much as anything it was to stop me from getting bored. But they were never that long (unless the singer decided he needed a **** halfway through the song).

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Ooh! I can say crap but can't say ****. Funny old world innit?

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Dire, self-indulgent noodling. Poor audience - never mind the singer, I'm surprised they didn't all clear off for a ****

Fraser Jarvis

Wow interesting comments guy's (just spent about 14 hours without an internet connection) No that guy is regarded as the pinnacle of Ska saxophonists, never really listened to any of his stuff though until this.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
I don't mind listening to soloing if it's good (or short), but yer man seemed to be hitting too many duff notes/scales/whatever.

(When I started playing out live, the bands I played in were great proponents of the extended guitar solo. I find that a bit tedious now, to play and listen to, and the band I'm in now plays to the song, not the meedly meedly.)

AndyWhiteford

Locality
Glasgow
I find it hard to hear how the tenor sax guy is connecting with the chords the rest of the band are playing, and his tone is not a tone I'd be chasing... . But - each to their own.....

{<edit> I can hear the trombone and guitar soloists working with the chord structure......}

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraser Jarvis

Yes I can see were you're coming from with this Andy....and I noticed how the audience were dead as well! ah well... think he's playing with one of the bands down in Dorset in September on the same bill as us.

thesaxman71

I got a plan for this guy, maybe he should be the latest member of that saxation-thing, 2 things merged into 1, so maybe 2 wrongs will make a right huh.....
but i seriously doubt it !

rant over, my head cant take more today on here, 1st it was saxation then this.... I MUST indulge in Brecker transcription reading for 2 hours to cleanse my jazz head of what has polluted it haha

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Look at the Saxation website - all girls are well educated sax players!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Aaah, there is the problem....I am vegemite!!! Good fun! Appreciate your opinions and absolutely agree it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Good fun thread!

Fraser Jarvis

Just listened to it again and I have to say it's growing on me, I quite like how he dives back into the melody for a few seconds now and then....just to let you know he's still there, also noticed he kind of puffs his cheeks out once in a while (i'm guilty of this as well) interestingly i was asked to do that altisimo/multi phonics thing on a session for a Children's album......strangely though they never used it in the final mix! well you could hear something for a split second right at the back, but you wouldn't have if you were not listening for it!

AndyWhiteford

Locality
Glasgow
Fraser - you could talk to the guy about his solo approach if you're gigging together soon, see if he has some pointers and hints for you /us. Listen to what he says, & assess it's worth in your own time ;-)

One point worth noting, it's well known that a vintage Conn 10M is TOTALLY THE WRONG HORN for that kind of music,
YOU SHOULD SELL IT IMMEDIATELY , maybe even to some guy through the yard sale....
Just sayin'
-A-

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom