All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Insurance when shipping a sax

Little My

Practice makes better.
I'm just curious really, when people sell saxes, do you ship them by a service that includes appropriate insurance, and if so, which? Please tell :)

Parcelforce do let you extend their insurance, but helpfully exclude musical instruments from extended cover. Intercourier only cover up to 50gbp and suggest that you buy further insurance elsewhere. I did get a quote from dhl for shipping a tenor, and it was painfully high with appropriate insurance (pushing 100gbp if I remember right).

I'd feel really uncomfortable mailing out a sax without appropriate insurance. Thanks for any opinions/experience.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Have a look at Interparcel, it's a similar service to Intercourier I think, they act as "agent" for several firms so you get good rates on DHL etc without needing an account. They have a customer service phone line that eventually answers. I use them for most things now, but not sure they go above £1000. But I don't think there's a musical instrument exclusion.

singlereed

If you are shipping abroad, I wholeheartedly recommend transglobal express - they act as agents for the large courier firms. You do all the documentation online and print it off, and the courier (DHL, UPS etc) collect it - usually at less than half the price you could get as an individual - you'll get to select from a number of quotes. As others have mentioned, some couriers do exclude musical instruments from insurance so you'd need to check the small print.

singlereed

Aha - yes, Kate - aka the little lady with attitude from Moominland. I still use and treasure your one dollar bill for cleaning sticky pads!

Justin Chune

I believe that $100 bills work even better, so if someone could send me one of those.:) A friend of mine bought a new, but shop soiled Selmer Mk7 from a local music store and shipped it off to Bill Lewington's for repair. The sax was damaged in transit and they got a brand new sax, via the insurance claim. Cover must be available.

Jim.

Little My

Practice makes better.
ha ha, sorry no $100 notes here!

I'm going to take the sax to Blowout in Bath on Thursday and see what they say. I think I will use one of the companies listed here if I end up sellling it myself as 1000gbp is ample cover. Thank you again for all the help, much appreciated.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom