All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Instrument info please...

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Hi...Im trying to find out some info on a vintage silver Alto that i have..Its a Bueconn Model 1002 and has Paxman bros LTD, 152 Shaftesbury avenue, London WC2 engraved on the front of the bell, I have spent hours searching the internet but to no avail, Maybe its a cheap insignificant make...Maybe made for a salvation army band or the like...Or maybe its a rare and sort after instrument???...It does have a really nice tone which is probably down to the years of spit wearing the bore down...(I feel sick now) ..It seems to have no lacquer on it and after handling it there is a distinct smell of metal on my hands ..Which TBH is one of the main reasons why i stopped playing it!.
I have found similar models with the cross type welded key guards but they have a more elaborate engraved design..It seems to be circa 1920-30's judging by the majority of the ones i have seen from that era...I plan on selling it so a value would be helpful also...Thanks for any info or light you can shed on it...Ziga

Crook
BueconnDSC_0001.jpg

BueconnDSC_0002.jpg

BueconnDSC_0004.jpg

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Hi Nick...Here is the serial number: 232645.

This is the only engraving on the bell...
BueconnDSC_0003.jpg

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
That'd be a Conn from about 1929. Sounds about right.

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Ahh..Thought it might be something like that but was unsure...What would it be worth..£200?..Its been serviced and re-padded..The action is close and in fairness i would still play it if i didn't have to wash my hands before and after i play it!..I got used to the lack of high F sharp key as well...I was going to get it re-lacquered but was advised it would change the tone..So i didn't bother..Thanks for the help...Ziga

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I'd have thought double that if it's in good playing condition. But, as usual, it's worth what you can get for it. I'm assuming it's a Conn - certainly looks like one.
Does the alt Eb work?

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I like the name "Bueconn" a mix of Buescher and Conn, it looks like silver plate in the pics which wouldn`t have had laq

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I think it's a European made sax. I would say a sax made by Kohlert und Söhne?

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Yes, old Kohlerts had "microtuners". The bell-body brace is also european! The way the bell keyguards are soldered on the "chimney". I would say a Kohlert stencil. Close to this one: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=2178
But it can be from a german manufactor as well, pre WWII.

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Mmmm...The Microtuner doesn't seem to be working..I think i might of taken it apart years ago when i didn't know what it was for...Doh!...I just gave it a quick blast and i have forgotten how sweet it actually sounds, Even with a naggered reed..I think i will get some new reeds and see if i can sort the Microtuner out..I just compared it with the Trevor James and TBH the Conn is easier to play in the high register and Alt...Maybe i won't sell after all...

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I have some Kohlert (Pennsylvania bari, Popular tenor and 1927 model soprano) and they have some details in common with the sax above. A Conn from the late 20's had side Bb key in one piece. This one is articulated. But I can't say for sure if it's a Conn or a Kohlert or Julius Keilwerth! Seems to be a nice sax so enjoy it.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
It's a 1930s Kohlert. There'll be a 6 digit serial number on the back which can be used to date it if you Google Kohlert serial numbers. I have an almost identical one.

Really good saxes!

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Hi Kev..Thanks for the heads up..Kohlert Circa 1929-1930..Interesting..An 84 year old Alto sax, Antique and sounds great..Im trying to find what i did with the other part of the microtuner..I wouldn't of thrown it out.

Id like to keep it original....Cheers...Ziga

MrZigaZaga

Locality
South of London, England
Hi mate..Thanks for that, I did have a look earlier and came across this..Mine has the serial numbers: 232645 so it should put it at around 1930..Im quite chuffed but also a little sad as when i bought this Alto around 15 years ago i also had a vintage silver Elkhart Tenor sax which sounded great and was in good condition but unfortunately got stolen..:verysad

Ads

Locality
North West UK
BTW, I`d give it a polish with Goddards silver polish, it protects the silver plate as well as helping stop your hands stink , what`s smelling is the oxidisation of the silver plate rubbing off .

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom