Tutorials

inspiration lost

young_one

I have been playing the saxophone for 3 years now, recently just past my grade 4 and grade 5 theory but i am sick of the boring pieces i am been made to play.
I go to a soul band and a swing band and a concert band at my school but I seem to be lacking that enthusiasm for some great playing.
I have been looking for some good jazz/blues music that just makes me want to play but none of it inspires me.
I need some great inspiration to get me going, but I have no clue where to get it?

half diminished

I have been playing the saxophone for 3 years now, recently just past my grade 4 and grade 5 theory but i am sick of the boring pieces i am been made to play.
I go to a soul band and a swing band and a concert band at my school but I seem to be lacking that enthusiasm for some great playing.
I have been looking for some good jazz/blues music that just makes me want to play but none of it inspires me.
I need some great inspiration to get me going, but I have no clue where to get it?
In which genre(s) of music are you interested? And which sax do you play?

You should check out the following threads/sections:

Great Players

Favourite Youtube Videos

What are you listening to (plus reviews)

Why not go along to a 'local' jam session. Here is our jam session guide

Why not come along to Karen Sharp's Jazz/improvisation workshop on 1st August?

SLoB

YO
What do YOU enjoy listening to, or do YOU like to play.

Forget what others tell you that you ought to be doing, etc and simply play for your own pleasure.

We all get down sometimes and lose the passion and trying to play what you do not have a feeling for can kill the passion. Go back to playing for pleasure for a time and then later re-visit those pieces, styles,etc that you struggle with a present.

OG
I suspect YO is too young to have got that!!
It's only us old foggies that might understand.
By the way - you going on a summer holiday with that living doll of yours or with that devil woman and will you be travelling light?

SLoB

old git

Tremendous Bore
I've had a 'Doris Stopes' moment via the pms that 'young_one' may be a young lady.

Please introduce yourself via the doorbell and tell us a little bit about your choice of instrument and what you used to enjoy playing. Then the more 'Captain Sensibles' amongst us might be able to proffer useful advice.

We have all probably been there ourselves. At the moment, I'm spending more time with the keyboard producing backing tracks, flute and Finale producing dots in three keys than with the tenor.

Have you played any other instrument? Do you intend being professional or is it just a hobby? If it is a hobby, what is the problem with having an off period and if you want to play for a living, having an off now will save you having one in future.

There is nothing wrong with you, just a natural reaction after a period of fairly strenuous activity with your various school bands.

Top Bottom