support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Inconsolable.

ManEast

Locality
Southsea .Portsmouth
Inconsolable . My very much loved Borgani Tenor, last night took an enormous hit from a falling P.A cab. The neck is a total and the body is bent. Whats more as a player I am not sure I can recover from this. This was a one-off... the Horn of my dreams. I have not stopped crying since I got home. I feel like digging one big hole and climbing in it along with my sax.

My Kind Regards to you all.

Ricky Eastman

Rick,
I can't tell you how truly sorry I am for you. Absolutely devastating.
I know I haven't seen yours and I realise it will never be quite the same no matter what but I don't want you to give up all hope.
Some time ago, a friend of mine had an alto stolen by some local pillocks who were easy to track down. We got the sax back (gave them something for it >:) ) and I don't know why or how they done it but the neck was squashed flat with a twist for good measure.
Fortunately the soldering and octave lever remained intact. Now apart from losing the majority of the lacquer, you'd have been suprised how well it recovered with a decent tradesman's work.
Again I don't know about the state of the body but I have my fingers crossed for you.

On a more successful note, I thoroughly enjoyed the gig and I hope your reunion as 'Bop with a stranger' leads to more.
Glad I left a few minutes early or I'd have been crying with you.
All the best
Trev.

What a nightmare. No, really, I have had nightmares about my sax being squished in some bizarre accident, so I do feel for you. Hopefully in the cold light of day, it's maybe salvageable, and if not, there is another out there somewhere that will do the biz for you.

:(.........but if it's any consolation at least the PA didn't injure you!

Thats not good

Hi

My teacher took his Mk VI alto to the states for a jazz workshop for a week, he got off the train and went one way down the platform with his case, but his sax went the other bouncing down the platform, the body had an amazing bend in it and the neck was kaput. Luckily the workshop were able to lend him a decent horrn for the week and once he got back he took it to Paul Windridge in Leicester who worked his magic. It is now fully operational and playing as good as ever.

Fingers crossed that you have the same outcome.

Best wishes

Dave

Ricky, my heart goes out to you, it's everyone's nightmare. However you will get over it eventually.
I can't remember where in the world you are, but I'd recommend getting in touch with Griff, he's not human you know, I believe that on the planet that he's from, breathing life back into inert objects was his speciality!! no I'm serious, give him a shout, you may be surprised by the mans abilities!

Thankyou Guys I will try to get it looked at as soon as I can get my head together... and my guts stop turning.
Thankyou all again . you are very kind.

Ricky

I'm really sorry to hear this.

BUT:

The good news is you will be able to get a new neck easily. Probably cheaper than repairing the broken one so don't worry about that.

(BTW, was it insured?)

The next bit of good news is that most bent bodies can be fixed.

Thankyou Pete.

No Insurance I am afraid ...I stoped using Insurance 5 years ago. (long story)
I am starting to feel that this could be well sorted in the right hands.
Thanks again for your encouragement.

Ricky

Well, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Fixing this might cost less than 5 x annual insurance.

I always think of insurance like gambling. I don't insure postage items and so far have don better than if I insured them. But you never know.

Well, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Fixing this might cost less than 5 x annual insurance.

I always think of insurance like gambling. I don't insure postage items and so far have don better than if I insured them. But you never know.

That's always the problem with insurance. My insurance covers my £1300 Yani tenor 901 for £40 quid annually including third party liability, accidental damage, theft etc. etc. so I can go for about 32 years before deciding insurance was a waste of money. Bearing in mind I'm already 56 I think I should be ok for a while.

I took out legal cover on top of my motorcycle insurance so that in the event of an accident I could recover my excess, plus cost of replacing helmet, leathers etc.: It costs twenty five quid a year. Two years after starting it I had a bike accident that mostly wasn't my fault. Thinking I'd use the legal cover to get about £700 worth of kit back I made a claim...to cut a long story short, that legal cover got me nearly £8000 for a broken toe!! Result!

Now before you all start going on about insurance premiums and how people lke me put them up (I'm with you one that), I didn't start the injury claim but I was hardly going to refuse the money when it came. It's a trend that's not going to go away until the courts stop giving out silly money, solicitors stop charging stupid rates (like that's going to happen) and more importantly, insurance companies start fighting every claim to make frivolous claims non-viable. Then we might see insurance premiums stop their relentless climb.

Anyway, the point is..insurance can be good if you feel lucky (or unlucky, if you see what I mean).

Cheers

Martin

If you have a horn you really care for and would struggle to find the money to replace, get insurance.

My Mauriat alto is insured for £2000 against loss, damage, theft, fire and just about everything except theft from an unoccupied vehicle.
It costs about £20 a year, so when does it become unviable?

I can afford around £20 a year, but can't find £2000 on demand.

Thankyou Pete.

I am starting to feel that this could be well sorted in the right hands.
Thanks again for your encouragement.

Ricky

Sorry to hear this. I have a couple of small dents in 66RUL, dunno from where they came but for sure they are there! I'll be talking to the griffmeister when it's up for its next service which will be very soon. I'd speak with him asap if I were you to get an idea of how repairable it is.

I'd suggest Griff as a repairer, or judging from others' recommendations, Stephen Howard. Pete (as usual) is right about the neck and the body straightening. Just don't watch it being done. A bit like orthopaedic surgery, it's a brutal process, but damned effective.

I'd suggest Griff as a repairer, or judging from others' recommendations, Stephen Howard. Pete (as usual) is right about the neck and the body straightening. Just don't watch it being done. A bit like orthopaedic surgery, it's a brutal process, but damned effective.

Stephen worked wonders with my Borgani as per my review. I would suggest and email and a visit to him is in order. I know the Borgs are more works of art than engineering achievements, so put your trust in a craftsman.

For the neck, I know that Allegro were advertising ones last time a looked and if you were feeling flush there's always a Paraschos neck and you could sound like Joe Lovano >:)

Best of luck... I really feel for you...

Kind regards

So sorry to hear about this, must be heart-breaking but at least it sounds like it could be repaired.
As a fellow Borgani owner mine feels very delicate. Stephen demonstrated the flexibility in the neck with mine and is part of the reason I was thinking of selling. My Mauriat & Selmer were far more robust, I think that's down to the Italian craftsmanship.

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you can get it sorted out.
On the subject of insurance, even though there is no personal cover for the sax, is there no public liability cover either through the band or the venue as the pa cab could of injured someone when it fell and would, I imagine cover any damage to your sax as well.
Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you can get it sorted out.
On the subject of insurance, even though there is no personal cover for the sax, is there no public liability cover either through the band or the venue as the pa cab could of injured someone when it fell and would, I imagine cover any damage to your sax as well.
Just a thought.

Hi Andy

Thankyou for your kind words. I had insurance all the time !.. in my grief I Had looked over the fact that years ago I switched the cover for my Sax onto the House insurance. Much to my relief when I phoned them and told them what happed, they said yes you have your sax listed on your policy. The house policy just gets paid by direct debit without me even thinking about it.

I wish I could say that I have stoped worrying about it ...But I have not. The Borgani is a very individual horn and there are no two the same. If they see fit to replace with new "and at the moment that looks likely" I think I may still have to fork-out for a trip to Italy to get exactly what I want.

I still wish it had never happened ! My guts are still turning !

Rix

I really feel for you Rick, but am glad to hear that at least the cost of the disaster will be covered.

With regard to the insurance/risk/gamble discussion: for the last 30 years or so I have had to discuss our business insurances with brokers or insurers each year. Many years ago one broker, who you might expect to encourage you to insure, advised me that one should just insure against those risks which keep you awake at night if you start thinking about them. It's a rule of thumb that I've found very helpful, and I suspect that your disaster would fall into this category!

Last edited by a moderator: