All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

In search of bluesy tenor sax

VirusKiller

Hi all,

I'm looking to discover tenor sax players / recordings where the tenor sax really sounds like a tenor sax (that "Keilwerth" sound - Nick W knows what I mean). Any suggestions? Old or new, but preferably on the less jazzy, more bluesy side.

Thanks,
Joel

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I suppose I'd better reply then.

If you're a member of Emusic or can find it somewhere else then you could start with 'Wailin' Saxophone Legends' - 66 tracks of (mostly) honking tenor.

Then there's the obvious ones: King Curtis, Junior Walker, Plas Johnson, Ike Quebec, Illinois Jacquet, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Sax Gordon, er...

When my brain's functioning a bit better I'll come up with some more.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Not too sure about the "Keilwerth sound" but check out Ben Webster for a great blues sound.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Stanley Turrentine, +1 for Ben Webster, Willis Jackson (look at thev book- Blues Saxophone - lessons fron the great for an overview of this type of stuff)

Last edited by a moderator:

rhysonsax

As well as all the great players named above, have a listen to Rusty Bryant.

Rhys

VirusKiller

Currently working my way through this lot. The "big band" bluesy sound just ain't the blues for me - it's big band!

Currently listening to Red Holloway & Plas Johnson / Pass the Gravy which is much more what I'm after: The sax equivalent of Buddy Guy, B.B. King, etc. There must be some modern guys doing this stuff?

thehunt

Agree with Jules on Stanley Turrentine, try salt song. what about Dexter Gordon and GO, that is a great album. Phil
Hi all,

I'm looking to discover tenor sax players / recordings where the tenor sax really sounds like a tenor sax (that "Keilwerth" sound - Nick W knows what I mean). Any suggestions? Old or new, but preferably on the less jazzy, more bluesy side.

Thanks,
Joel

thomsax

When I want to listen to "real blues sax" I listen to: Noble "Thin Man" Watts (some recordings on his own), Bobby Forte (Percy Mayfield, Charles Brown ... ), Oliver Sain (St Louis, A&R man, Fontella Bass ... ), Erskin Oglesby (Little Milton, Ike Turner, Albert King), J.T. Brown (Chicago, Elmore James, redordings on his own), Maxwell Davis (LA, A&R man, Father Of the West Coast R&B, T99 Nelson, Amos Milburn, recordings on his own), AC Reed (Buddy Guys, Albert Collins, recordings on his own) and Eddie Shaw(Chicago, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, recordings on his own). Its just Eddie Shaw that still in life!!

I also think the Keilwerth sound (not the Taiwan Keilwerths) is differnt compared to most other contemporary brands. From what I know it's just Sax Gordon (among the sudgested players) who is blowing on a Keilwerth made sax. His saxes are H.Couf I. I think they have "rolled/lip" toneholes. Couf II has straight toneholes. The story says that Keilwerth, Nauheim, did the body and neck and let Dörfler & Jörka (a small firm in former West Germany) to make and install the keys and to do the set-up. UMI/Conn also sold a DJH modifed sax in the 80's. But Sax Gordons sax is a kind of hybrid: Body is H.Couf I, neck is a reforced Selmer MKVI. Most of the pearls are gone and he has replaced them with coins from all over the world. His is blowing into a huge RPC mpc (no baffle) and his use Rico std reeds #5. It needs a real dedicated person to blow a setup like that! I think this explains his big sound. Great player and the loudest I have ever heard.

There are lots other good contemporary bluessax players wating for us !!! I listen to King Curtis, Jr Walker, Red Prysock ,,,, but they are so good that I don't get inspired to play myself.

Thomas

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom