All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs In search of a tenor mouthpiece. Help?

I tried 4 mouthpieces the last time I was at a music store, an Otto link, a meyer, a metal berg, a vandoren, and a metal lebayle 7 jazz chamber, bullet cut.

I liked the lebayle 7 metal with the bullet cut chamber. Since I play a meyer 7M on alto, my preference is geared towards hard rubber mouthpieces.

So after trying the lebayle 7 metal, I have decided that I am in search of something similar.
I am in search of a tenor mouthpiece that has:

-medium facing curve
-round chamber, & bullet-cut
-a baffle equivalent to measuring a "0" on a berg.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Welcome to the caffé KIWM.
Why not introducing yourself in the doorbell section? It as a good opportunity to taste the unmistakeable style of our members.

Re your (difficult) question...
- A good rubber berg (if you find one)
- An average rubber berg and have it refaced
- A Pillinger copy of some wonderful old HR berg
- An Absolute resin (so far the cheapest option)
- A Ponzol, I don't remember the model

It will be quite a jump from your current Meyer, though. A 0 baffle is really high and quite a screamer.

Where are you based? I mostly mentioned European makers that I am really biased towards (Pillinger and Absolute are a pleasure to deal with). in the States there are many other pieces to try; 10mfan and Phil-Tone come to mind.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Agreed, it`s a wide gap, easy to play piece, the Onyxite ones can be troublesome to find metal ligatures for (and I think it sounds better with one than a Rovner etc) but the metal ones are a more orthodox shape . it`s an amazingly versatile mouthpiece

altissimo

Locality
leicester
Lebayle do hard rubber mouthpieces... or there's the Lawton BB chamber in HR.. or a Drake Studio.. you might be lucky and find a hard rubber Berg to your liking, they're not all crap. My mate got one he liked after he tried 4 of them in a shop. The facings on Bergs are all a bit short and can be tiring after a while, not a problem you'd find with the PPT

Welcome to the caffé KIWM.
Why not introducing yourself in the doorbell section? It as a good opportunity to taste the unmistakeable style of our members.

Re your (difficult) question...
- A good rubber berg (if you find one)
- An average rubber berg and have it refaced
- A Pillinger copy of some wonderful old HR berg
- An Absolute resin (so far the cheapest option)
- A Ponzol, I don't remember the model

It will be quite a jump from your current Meyer, though. A 0 baffle is really high and quite a screamer.

Where are you based? I mostly mentioned European makers that I am really biased towards (Pillinger and Absolute are a pleasure to deal with). in the States there are many other pieces to try; 10mfan and Phil-Tone come to mind.

I am based in New York City.
The reason for the "0" baffle is because the baffle in the tenor rico graftonite mouthpiece that I played really lacked projection so I had to mold a baffle into it out of clay putty in order to get it playing. After that I felt that the notes play much easier on tenor if the mouthpiece had a good amount of baffle to it. I don't like the rollover baffles for tenor, tried those. All I got was a tubby tone. Don't know why.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London

That is mouthpieceland!
If I were you, I would try everything, with great amusement of the sales assistants.
I would just avoid one unpleasant shop near Times Sq.
In another shop near there, I found the Berg Larsen that stayed with me for many years as my main piece.
Also you have Rick Maraday (he is a member here) that stocks 10mfan pieces (you might like the Boss model) and you can mail order from any American maker.
I wonder if the PPT is distributed there.

If you are planning to kill with Motown (and Stax, hopefully), try a Claude Lakey too.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I think PPTs are distributed wherever Pete sends them ....... as he`s said many times, it was never out to be a business venture, more a way of sharing of an excellent bespoke mouthpiece design which suits him personally (and many others too from the sales) . I seem to be settling into it nicely ....

I`ve never been in the Mouthpiece rat-race and have avoided it like the plague (it`s frustrating enough even with advice from forums let alone randomly walking into "Mouthpiece world" and hoping the right one will glow like a shard from the Dark Crystal) . I`ve found that it takes time to see if something is going to work, and only then after you`ve found the ideal reed combination with it . the PPT only took a week or two to show it was going to work , it took me longer (Months) to settle into the LAW Alto as an only piece but I`d not swap it for anything now .

I think many drive themselves nuts trying to find the perfect piece, never giving themselves long enough with one at a time or even ever finding matching reeds, they end up with a drawer full of the things costing a fortune, none of which they`ve spent enough time with getting to know .

Jamesmac

I think PPTs are distributed wherever Pete sends them ....... as he`s said many times, it was never out to be a business venture, more a way of sharing of an excellent bespoke mouthpiece design which suits him personally (and many others too from the sales) . I seem to be settling into it nicely ....

I`ve never been in the Mouthpiece rat-race and have avoided it like the plague (it`s frustrating enough even with advice from forums let alone randomly walking into "Mouthpiece world" and hoping the right one will glow like a shard from the Dark Crystal) . I`ve found that it takes time to see if something is going to work, and only then after you`ve found the ideal reed combination with it . the PPT only took a week or two to show it was going to work , it took me longer (Months) to settle into the LAW Alto as an only piece but I`d not swap it for anything now .

I think many drive themselves nuts trying to find the perfect piece, never giving themselves long enough with one at a time or even ever finding matching reeds, they end up with a drawer full of the things costing a fortune, none of which they`ve spent enough time with getting to know .

There is one on eBay. Not my listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PPT-Tenor...t=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item3a9094cbd6

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I quite enjoy swapping mouthpieces around on an irregular basis. Makes me concentrate more.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I just want to make music ........

I only changed to the PPT because the Selmer E went with the MkVII (and wasn`t ideal on the 62 anyway) , the Yani got at the same time as the 62 was fine as a stopgap as a 62 friendly Selmer E replacement but I`ve needed to move to a larger gap , one piece solution for some time (I had a Bari HR 120 with the Selmer E for the VII but rarely used It and it was awful on the 62) ..... the PPT works

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I just want to make music ........

I only changed to the PPT because the Selmer E went with the MkVII (and wasn`t ideal on the 62 anyway) , the Yani got at the same time as the 62 was fine as a stopgap as a 62 friendly Selmer E replacement but I`ve needed to move to a larger gap , one piece solution for some time (I had a Bari HR 120 with the Selmer E for the VII but rarely used It and it was awful on the 62) ..... the PPT works
We all want to make music but we all do it differently.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I would do music much better if I had a new vintage mouthpiece/horn/ligature/hat/reed.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
The reason for the "0" baffle is because the baffle in the tenor rico graftonite mouthpiece that I played really lacked projection so I had to mold a baffle into it out of clay putty in order to get it playing. After that I felt that the notes play much easier on tenor if the mouthpiece had a good amount of baffle to it. I don't like the rollover baffles for tenor, tried those. All I got was a tubby tone. Don't know why.

I played a Graftonite A5 for maybe six months and to me it always sounded a bit 'woolly' (which could be me - my oral cavity? - another player might not find the same.). I then got a Metalite M5. It suits me much more, gives much more projection and helps me get the sounds I have in my head more easily, easier to vary tone, timbre, vocalise etc.

Maybe a Metalite might help narrow down the search and help point you towards your ideal? They cost half nothing and can always be sold on anyway, as they have such a good press.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
I would do music much better if I had a new vintage mouthpiece/horn/ligature/hat/reed.

Sunglasses. You forgot the sunglasses.

My £3 shades gave a quantum leap to my playing.

I'm still working on the hat. What would you recommend for improving my altissimo range?

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom