support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces In praise of Phil Tone

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
I have recently had the pleasure of conversing with @Phil regarding his line of mouthpieces. After some discussion and deliberation I ordered The Intrepid (Alto) on March 3rd. I put it out of my mind expecting a couple of weeks to pass before a package from France arrived. I was very excited then on the morning of March 8 to see it drop through my letterbox. Phil was a delight to converse with and some mild banter was had along with great expertise and advice.

There are many reviews available online by people far more qualified than me so this is just my view. The Intrepid is a beautifully made mouthpiece and is great to play. I can't go into detail about chambers/tip/facings etc because a) I don't really understand physics (blushes shamefully) and b) if you want to know, ask Phil, he's the expert. I love the sound of it and how easy it is for me to blow. It gives me a little resistance but not so much that it's hard work even with a slightly harder hard (Rigotti 3s, I usually play 2M). It's still early days and I'm still getting used to it but the notes are clear throughout the range and the altissimo through to C is even just about in tune which is a bonus for me (not that i ever play up there apart from practice). I can't wait to be able to try it out in a quartet and band setting - looking hopeful for June/July. I liked it so much I ordered one for tenor (and Sapphire for sop) and look forward to getting those in the next week or so.

Anyway, like I say I'm not a reviewer just a happy customer who has nothing but praise for Phil. He was generous with his time and advice and answered all concerns and questions without ever trying to force a sale on me. I would recommend anyone considering a new mouthpiece to contact Phil. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
That sounds great and very speedy. What happened about paying any VAT or duty due and delivery ?

Rhys

Reactions: Sue

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
Nothing, I think Phil must have taken care of that at his end. I paid only for the mouthpiece and shipping. I was half expecting a text from the delivery company to pay VAT. I forgot to ask Phil about it to be honest. I did think about it after but I'd thrown the envelope by then.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
I had a couple of mouthpieces refaced by Phil and I was very happy both times. One of them is my favorite on tenor, or at least the one I play the most. The other one, is excellent, but it's alto and I don't play alto that much these days, when I play!

georgesax

Locality
sheffield
I strongly concur with Sue. I ordered a tenor mouthpice from Phil, great services, high quality mouthp and excellent advice. Highly recommended

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
I had a tenor otto link toneedge that I sold many years ago at this forum... Huge mistake. The mouthpiece was flawless..

Phil

Locality
France
Thanks Sue and Ellinas.

Sue, your next installment of mouthpieces should arrive any day.

• You're a Star
Top Bottom