All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

In a Sentimental Mood

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Had a go at playing this tune earlier today. http://snd.sc/ZPWB7j is the link.. I'd call it a work in progress..

Chris..

btw this is NOT going to be the BOTM..

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Chris, I hear so much improvement. This track to my ears is you breaking through a barrier. You are no longer just playing notes/dots you are in the music and a part of it. For some the transition could be too subtle to notice, but just hearing the next track (that I presume was recorded some time earlier) says it all. With time you will find ways to refine what each tune means to you and give it even more of yourself.

Your tone is very controlled, which is necessary initially to play in tune and train your body to the instrument. At some junction, when you have enough confidence, you can start to incorporate other devices that are part of a sax player's "vocal" vocabulary. An easy one to start with that shouldn't take much concentration is dynamics. This is just too easy, but it always amazes me how many (advanced) players just play at one level of volume and don't take advantage of all that dynamics can communicate. I won't list all the others, you're probably aware of them anyway, but dynamics is easy and shouldn't disrupt, but rather augment where you're at right now.

Only problem for you is that now that you've broken through we expect everything to be at least up to the same standard. Great work!

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Hi Wade, many thanks for the advice and continuing support, I guess the higher the bar goes the easier it is to dip underneath. It's kinda 'spooky' you mentioned dynamics as I was talking to Mike about that and also my tutor mentioned the same thing on Thursday. Once again thanks for your reply.

Chris..

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
You seem to be having less fun with it than "If I were a blues" for instance, but then as you say early days

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
But it's not me playing on 'If I Were a Blues' Ivan. I just wrote that one..

Chris..

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
But it's not me playing on 'If I Were a Blues' Ivan. I just wrote that one..

Chris..

Humblest apologies for making an unfair comparison...

I'm a bit confused about how to tell what it is you're playing on Soundcloud, but whatever it brightened my Sat morning before leaving work

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom