support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

In a sentimental mood, am i, last 1 for a while

Nice one Davy,

Very professional sounding and full of life...like it's coming right from the gut!

Loved the Blue Bossa mix with the strong lyrical improv...please don't take this the wrong way....but.....I could hear some Kenny Gee style licks in their.. nice dynamics and growls and rhythmic variations, also like your experimenting with the mixing.

This shows the benefits of your many gas attacks over the years....well done... I'd travel to hear you in person, but 12,000, miles is about 100miles to far.

Thanks for posting

I'm loving all your recordings Davey. They show a lot of skill and imagination on all the horns in a wide range of styles.

Thanks.

Rhys

Nice one Davy,

Very professional sounding and full of life...like it's coming right from the gut!

Loved the Blue Bossa mix with the strong lyrical improv...please don't take this the wrong way....but.....I could hear some Kenny Gee style licks in their.. nice dynamics and growls and rhythmic variations, also like your experimenting with the mixing.

This shows the benefits of your many gas attacks over the years....well done... I'd travel to hear you in person, but 12,000, miles is about 100miles to far.

Thanks for posting

Thanks for kind words.I dont own any Kenny G stuff but the boy can surely play.Most his stuff is very smoothhhhhh but he's got great chops.

I'm loving all your recordings Davey. They show a lot of skill and imagination on all the horns in a wide range of styles.

Thanks.

Rhys

Cheers my man.The stuff i've knocked out at break neck speed is more me learning about recording and not what i'm playing but i'm pretty happy with the fast results.Plus i am trying to record as you say in a wide range of styles which i do every week in my many different band formats.Keeps things fresh and on your toes.I'm not 1 to be a 1 style guy.I love all music.

The important part is that YOU are in there playing...it's coming from you and not just notes on a page or trying to match exactly what the backing is about (although it should "fit").

There are a lot of players on this site in various stages of learning. For some, just getting the melody right with the backing track while reading is an accomplishment, and deserves recognition as a milestone. Others are trying to find their way around improvisation, some by analysis and applying formulations (without really knowing what they are playing), and others by trying to hear what they want so that they can "sing" through their horn.

On this tune you're not playing "outside" so the technical leaning/learning players can hear where you're at in terms of the chord structure, but hopefully they will hear and get how much more there is in terms of dynamics, feeling, and the melodic story that's unfolding. This is what divides the finger wigglers from the players. Space, dynamics, tension and release, and generally having the horn be your voice.

I don't think it's ever too early for new players to hear and try to emulate these qualities. The sax is a machine (of sorts), but the trick is to make it your voice. These little essays of yours are excellent reminders that don't have the distance and tyranny of some long dead "master" who has been canonized/analyzed/cannibalized to death where the technique seems teachable, but not the feeling.

I just hope that listeners get how good you are and how fortunate they are to have this so close to home. This isn't to say that there aren't a number of other pro players here, but they haven't put themselves forward to be heard very often.

The best part that hopefully everybody "gets" is the absolute joy in your playing.

The best part that hopefully everybody "gets" is the absolute joy in your playing

Thanks Wade.Its took a long long time of woodshedding to get to a place were i like my playing and sound.Alot has to do with maturing as a player also.As you know i'm a busy guy that plays in alot of styles which has helped to get to my stage.We have talked about our thoughts in PM's and you know i think i'm a melodic,lyrical vibe player.Thats what feel and hear in my head.I'm not a very good be bop player.I like the hard bop style of Dexter Gordon but i dont want to play in that kind of style.I like you think the sax as a voice.I came to learn over many years that the most important thing is space,dynamics,phrasing,feel and trying to tell a story,your story.I made a choice along time back to try and not play,sound like so many other players.There are so many good players i know but they all sound the same.They play in the same kind of style,every space filled with a bop line.They have great chops etc but most the time there just letting the changes play them.As said i love players that are unique ,melody,lyrical for me any day.As for the word technique which is a big factor if you want to put your thoughts straight through to your horn can be over used.The important thing is getting a nice blend of all the factors in your playing and finding a place were you like yourself.Your right about things getting analyzed to death.Playing with your heart and balls means more to me than Coltranes changes in all keys.I also set myself a goal long long ago never to have a bad gig.I only allow myself to go no lower on the scale than say 7 out of 10 which is playing good.A 10 is very very very rare but betwenn 7 and 9 and i've done my job well.There is no way i'm going anthing less than 7 unless my arm falls off.As people here know i love gear.I've done this on and off for so long but the important thing is i have never let it take away from my learning,practice,woodshedding routine.If i miss a day on my horn i feel guilty.Been this way forever.You got to put in the time,listen and enjoy it.The scary thing is the great stellar stars still practice well into there old age.Its a never ending journey but still fing a place were you like yourself is the important search for me.Only the last few years i have found this.Yes i have soooo much more i need,want to explore,work on,soooooo much more but i kinda like my little vibe i've got going at the mo.Warts and all.The good and the bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly not getting sick of your recordings - enjoying every one of them.

One positvie thing about posting all these sound clips and becoming recording obsessed is less time to acquire more saxes - the wife's probably a lot happier - "Not another sax Davey!?" you probably haven't heard that in a while...:)))

Keep up the good work...

Greg S.

Certainly not getting sick of your recordings - enjoying every one of them.

One positvie thing about posting all these sound clips and becoming recording obsessed is less time to acquire more saxes - the wife's probably a lot happier - "Not another sax Davey!?" you probably haven't heard that in a while...:)))

Keep up the good work...

Greg S.

Yea but i spent alot of cash on my home studio.But it looks great though.Very happy indeed.

Back
Top Bottom