All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

In a good mood

jonf

It's a very long weekend, had a good ride out on the BMW today (230 miles) and collected a new (to me) sax. Had a quick blow and it's great. Will give it a thorough blast later, followed by a beer. Generally feeling very content. :)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Smug bu--er, flashing the cash whilst we poor old age pensioners have to make a 50p bag of crisps last the whole of the four day Jubilee Celebration.

Probably going to spend the weekend on his northern motor yacht, moored in Lytham Marina.

ENJOY!

jonf

Aha, but it wasn't expensive. It's an alto, a sax often thought of as a student model but some well regarded experts think of it as suitable for pro use. Any ideas?

jazzdoh

Aha, but it wasn't expensive. It's an alto, a sax often thought of as a student model but some well regarded experts think of it as suitable for pro use. Any ideas?
Yamaha 21,23 or 25?

jonf

Yamaha 21,23 or 25?

Right first time. YAS 23. It's a stormer, gave it a good blast last night. Maybe not quite as characterful as my Yanagisawa A6, but fantastic nontheless. The alto 23s seem to have a bit more character and oomph than Yamaha tenors (in my experience). Lovely sax. It's the third one of these I've had and they've all been great.

TomMapfumo

BW, JP, Gear4Music...........................? You present as a fairly conservative guy (Yanagisawa Metal mouthpiece type) so could imagine a Yamaha of older age, as suggested above, rather than a stonking Taiwanese effort...;}

jonf

BW, JP, Gear4Music...........................? You present as a fairly conservative guy (Yanagisawa Metal mouthpiece type) so could imagine a Yamaha of older age, as suggested above, rather than a stonking Taiwanese effort...;}
Yeah, right. Currently also have a JP alto, have had a BW one (nice, but simply not as good as the YAS23) and also have two other BWs.

I do quite like a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece, but don't use one as main piece on any sax at the mo. Current first choice mouthpeices are

Sop: PPT 7
Alto: Oleg Maestro with Brian Powell custom finish. Looks rough, plays superbly.
Tenor: Otto link STM 10 with custom huge baffle, a bit of work on table and rails. Monster.
C Mel:Tenor Brilhart Level Air 9. Screamer.
Bari: Runyon Smoothbore 10. Roars.

Maybe more eclectic than conservative.

TomMapfumo

AKA "Random Sax Guy"...:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:;}

Hi Jon! Thanks for the clarification...............eclectic seems to fit more accurately than "conservative". So are you gonna tell us or what? I'm starting to lose interest ....... :shocked:

jonf

Err, tell what? What my new sax is? It's a YAS23, as mentioned above. Great sax.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom