All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Tone Improving tone using subtone

visionari1

Locality
Out in the Countryside of Nelson NZ
Thanks for this Sub tone post...I was attracted to Ben Websters sound before I even knew that was sub tone, I'd say Stan Getz sub tones all over his horn too.
Surely Ben Webster's set up, must also have been influential on his sub tone, you don't mention anything about reeds or mouthpieces and combinations there off.
Seems like sub tone is better for Bari's & Tenors, rather than Alto's or Sop's?????
Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Locality
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for this Sub tone post...

you don't mention anything about reeds or mouthpieces and combinations there off.

Seems like sub tone is better for Bari's & Tenors, rather than Alto's or Sop's?????
Thanks again!

No problem!

Yeah, the post isn't about trying to get a subtone like sound. It's about using subtone as a practice tool. It can really improve your overall tone whether you want to sound like Ben Webster or Mark Turner, who maybe never subtones.

As far as subtone on the higher saxes, I'm not sure about soprano, but sounds like Johnny Hodges and even Cannonball are partly enabled by subtone technique, so I think it works great. It just has a different sound.

Fraser Jarvis

Interesting article Ben, and as well as performing diaphragm breathing while sub-toning (I cant do it any other way) I think it's important to begin on the note you intend to work on, lets say for example you're going to play bottom Bb it's all to easy to start on D then work down....much harder to just sub-tone right off the Bb, and as well as technique your sax needs to be spot on also.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom