All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Improve Your Current Mouthpiece / Ligature Setup

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
Hi
I have just made a great discovery on how to improve the tone, intonation and playability of your current mouthpiece and ligature. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before on this forum, so I apologise in advance if it has.

I play a Lawton 8*B mouthpiece. I have just switched to it from a Guardala MBII which I have been playing for 18 months. The Lawton is about 30 years old, in great condition with original ligature. Before switching from the MBII, I was interested in the Saxxas ligature after listening to thesaxman71 on this forum on Soundcloud. Ian's sound is incredible and he uses a Saxxas lig on his handmade Guardala MBI. The lig uses rubber posts to support / hold the reed.

For my Lawton I cut a piece of rubber from a mouthpiece patch and put it between the pressure plate and the reed. Hey presto - it just works really well. It's the only mcp/lig combo that I've tried this on, but I'm thinking that there is no reason that it would not work on any setup. Err.......I think!

Try it. If it works for you, let me know. If it doesn't, let me know. If you've done it before and I'm recycling old ideas, let me know.

Hope it works for you.

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
Update - I have now tried this on my soprano setup. Yani Metal 8 mcp with stock Yani two screw ligature. Happy, because it worked on that too!

Something's wrong here. Is this something that everyone knows about and I have just been in the dark for a long time?

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
I've tried this sort of idea with various materials on quite a few mouthpiece lig combinations. Last year I bought a Vandoren leather ligature with 3 pressure plates, I "thought" I could hear a slight difference but it was minimal so put it down to experience. Then I noticed that the bass clarinet in a band I play with had inverted the lig without a pressure plate, I wouldn't say it made any difference to the sound but "I" find it easier to play. Whatever works for you I suppose.

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
Thnaks for your reply.

It may just work partcularly well with the Lawton mcp with the slide on screw lig. The only thing touching the reed is the piece of mouthpiece patch on the pressure plate and lig itself has mininal contact with the mouthpiece.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
With subtle variations I tend to sound like me no matter what I play, I once broke a ligature halfway through a rehearsal so I got an o-ring out of my plumbing box, nobody noticed. Ho-hum.

I had a mint Lawton tenor which was a beauty but now I prefer HR, the more comfortable you are with your equipment is one less thing to worry about.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
it's possible that with some of those single screw, pressure plate type ligs that the pressure isn't always evenly distributed, so the rubber pad may help with that. There are loads of different types of ligatures, all of which claim to improve things in some way and all of which have their supporters. I tend to think that the best ligature is the one that fits your mouthpiece best.
Hahn synthetic reeds come with a rubber pad attached, but I found them annoying, the rubber used to get pinched between the gap in my lig, so I ended up peeling it off. I noticed little change in the response of the reed, but they are rather bright and zingy reeds

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
With subtle variations I tend to sound like me no matter what I play, I once broke a ligature halfway through a rehearsal so I got an o-ring out of my plumbing box, nobody noticed. Ho-hum.

I had a mint Lawton tenor which was a beauty but now I prefer HR, the more comfortable you are with your equipment is one less thing to worry about.

I realised a while ago that you always sound like yourself what ever you play. So why do many of us look for the magic subtle change? I guess comfort is a major factor. I took the rubber patch off the Lawton pressure plate. Played. Put it back on. Comfort was one of the subtle changes that no one probably hears, but its having a big effect on me. Was the sound different? To me yes, but perhaps no one else will hear. I also realised that there are somethings that I don't hear. If I'm not sure, I record myself. Again I sound like me, but often on recordings I can hear differences between ligs and reeds that others would not. And sadly I have not got a great ear.

Thanks for your comment.

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
it's possible that with some of those single screw, pressure plate type ligs that the pressure isn't always evenly distributed, so the rubber pad may help with that. There are loads of different types of ligatures, all of which claim to improve things in some way and all of which have their supporters. I tend to think that the best ligature is the one that fits your mouthpiece best.
Hahn synthetic reeds come with a rubber pad attached, but I found them annoying, the rubber used to get pinched between the gap in my lig, so I ended up peeling it off. I noticed little change in the response of the reed, but they are rather bright and zingy reeds

The Lawton lig certainly fits the Lawton piece (ha ha!), but I have used Rovner dark and light and BG Metal Jazz on the Lawton. The Lawton lig with my rubber patch plays very well. So comfortable across the range. Does it sound better? I think so. Or do my ears deceive me and the patch makes articulation easy? I guess I better record with rubber and without rubber. Damn.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
it's possible that with some of those single screw, pressure plate type ligs that the pressure isn't always evenly distributed, so the rubber pad may help with that.

Spot on. I use synthetic cork on some Ottolink one-screw ligatures. It seals better but it seems to dampen high freqs.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
The Lawton lig certainly fits the Lawton piece (ha ha!), but I have used Rovner dark and light and BG Metal Jazz on the Lawton. The Lawton lig with my rubber patch plays very well. So comfortable across the range. Does it sound better? I think so. Or do my ears deceive me and the patch makes articulation easy? I guess I better record with rubber and without rubber. Damn.
Get someone to blindfold you and change the ligs. See if you can pick them out.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
My very first gig in the UK was a rubber party. Sonething to do with multiple screws ligatures

I need to find you something to do, you just get up to mischief and set a bad example.........................;)

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I need to find you something to do, you just get up to mischief and set a bad example.........................;)

Jx

I deleted that post!
I would like to point out that
1-I I was getting paid
2- I was exempt from extreme dress code.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom