PPT mouthpieces

Immature Mature from West Wales!

ukwoody

Locality
Milford Haven, Pembrokshire, Wales
Hello all,

When I got divorced a few years back decided I wanted to learn the sax. I didn't want a real cheapy in case it put me off, but didn't want to buy a £2k one either, so bought a Julius Keilwerth Alto to learn on. I then promptly moved from Southampton up here to Pembrokeshire and haven't touched it in 5 years. However the other day decided it was about time I knuckled down and started to learn, so at the age of 46 I've started on a new adventure and the squealing of the reed can be heard from here to Cardiff, LOL.

Am I too old? am I tone deaf? well there's only one way to find out...;}

Looking forward to "meeting" you al here in the cafe!

(by the way just in case anyone else just happens to live in /visit Pembs, theres a new guitar music shop in Pembroke who's owner now stocks most reeds for woodwind and is extremly helpful and willing to source most items:welldone.)

regards
Woody (mark)

Hi Woody, I'm originally from Pembroke (left there when I was 3) Now living and blowing in the Rugby area. Welcome to the cafe, how could you leave it sat sitting in a dark and gloomy cupboard for five years! If it was a pet (A) you'd have been reported to the RSPCA and (B) it would be dead!
Welcome to the Cafe from another immature mature!

Thanks Pete, I can assure you Pembroke has barely changed over the years, infact Browns chip shop is still there and Mrs Brown still serves and has just received her MBE at the of 101 !

regards
woody

Hi woody, and a warm welcome to the cafe. Enjoy your sax. It's never too late to start a great hobby.

Jim.

Welcome to the Caff Young Woody. Was in my late sixties when first trying sax, not sure if it's improved any, but what an up and down larf.
Divorced in Southampton? How come Pete never told us? ;}

¡Hola! Woody, welcome to the Cafe from Spain. You're never too old for these blowy pursuits ... as long as you can work up enough puff! Enjoy yourself here ...

Hi Woody and welcome to the cafe. As others have said, you're never too old.

And don't believe stories of tone deafness - just one of your senses you might not have exercised as well as the others. You soon will be though.

Enjoy yourself, and ask away with any Q's,

Phil

I was 46 when I took up the sax - and my family is from Milford Haven, so I feel some empathy here.

So from my experience I can confirm that, yes, 46 is way too old :))) Good luck with it - you're a bit remote out there, but that has its advantages - the neighbours tend to be further away:)

Welcome Woody. Never too old. I started less than two years ago at 58. Loving playing and learning. It's how you feel, not the number (well that's my excuse).
Colin

Hi Woody, welcome to the cafe. I'm originally from Milford haven and still have a place in Angle.
Take care,
Gareth

Lots of hot air here, that would be better blown into a sax. And it seems that the older people get the more they produce. Like me. :)))

I started earlier this year at the age of 53, and wish I'd started 20 years ago.... Not cos I'm too old, but cos I'm realising what I've been missing out on..... Have fun! JK made some wonderful horns!

Wow, thank you all for your words of encouragement:welldone

I have set myself some targets, and we'll see how I get along. Do any of you other "late starters" play along with any other instruments other than sax's in a band or anything?

Those of you who have now left Pembrokeshire, WILL be back, haha. It seems to have that kind of draw on people. I Live in Milford Haven now and love it here.

Woody

Hi Woody
Welcome from Halifax
Heres my story ,Bought a clarinet at 41 the guy in the shop said "you fellows make me laugh you think you will be able to play like Aker Bilk, you will practice all your life and still wont be able to play " he didnt say what fun I would have along the way ,still having fun at 68 but with a sax ,you lucky so and so you have 20 years of fun to catch me up.
all the best
Clive

Hi Woody
Welcome from Halifax
Heres my story ,Bought a clarinet at 41 the guy in the shop said "you fellows make me laugh you think you will be able to play like Aker Bilk, you will practice all your life and still wont be able to play " he didnt say what fun I would have along the way ,still having fun at 68 but with a sax ,you lucky so and so you have 20 years of fun to catch me up.
all the best
Clive

Not a very good sales patter, is it?

Hello Woody and welcome! 46 is the perfect age to play (47 is even better) I can vouch for that :) Enjoy the CS ~

Sut mae, the Woodster, o Skabertawe!:mrcool

I started sax when I was 48 (and trumpet and now trombone - all to intermediate level). Lots of music you can buy with backing tracks if you want to get the feel of playing in a band to start off with - and good to get some tunes under your belt.

Also be good to find a teacher locally - help get you started.
Big welcome to the Cafe, and hope you have a great time here!

Kind regards
Tom :cool:

From Aberdaugleddau - Hiya and thanks for the welcome! Teachers are a problem around here, bit remote. Still searching though. Good to know I'm still a youngster. ;-)

Thanks for the tips, when I've moved on a bit I will take up your suggestion about backing tracks.

"Woodster" is something a really good old friend used to call me, really must ring him!

Regards woody

Hi and welcome
Too old? Never! I started learning the sax at 63, and now, three years later when playing to me backing tracks in the spare bedroom, I'm a star:thankyou:
Am in a swing band, mostly learners, but great fun, and that's the key, who cares about fame and fortune when you can have so much fun? Well........... oh well, never too late etc..

Hello. I realise this is an old thread but I'm hoping some Pembs people can help me find somebody to teach me how to play. I've just bought an alto sax (no telling me off that's it's ONLY a Cranes) but am having a hard time finding a tutor. I live in Pembroke Dock.

I'm also 47 so a late starter - and a 'she'. I don't really want to go along to join a class of eight year olds if I can help it.

I have 'A New Tune a Day' and am listening to youtube clips to try and make a similar sound, but ... well, ya know.

Is Woody still here?

Hi Saxy. Big welcome from me.

I know what you mean about a class of 8yr olds. I'm learning through the local music school, and most of the pupils are kids. OK during the lessons, as I'm on my own, but when they have their concerts the kids usually blow me away... Good for them, I'm there for fun as well as to learn.

It would be great if you'd introduce yourself in a separate thread, tell us more, what sort of music you're going to play...

Back
Top Bottom