Tutorials

iMac monitor luminance help

old git

Tremendous Bore
Thought some time back, you said you had a colour calibrated monitor.
Systems Preferences has a choice of two calibration systems, normal and advanced but surely if you want real colour accuracy, you either need an Apple Cinema or some other genuine professional display, not an iMac and that's from an admitted Apple fanboy. :confused:

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Thought some time back, you said you had a colour calibrated monitor.
Systems Preferences has a choice of two calibration systems, normal and advanced but surely if you want real colour accuracy, you either need an Apple Cinema or some other genuine professional display, not an iMac and that's from an admitted Apple fanboy. :confused:
Unhelpful as ever. Should've known you'd suggest I didn't start from here!

The iMac is fine and I have it calibrated pretty well using an Eye One 2 with Coloreyes Pro software. As I don't need Pantone level colour control it's more than adequate. Im fully aware of the iMacs limitations. Just wanted a view on luminance.

If I made a FT living from photography I'd have a quad core mac pro with 8gb of ram and two 24' or one 30' monitor. Sooner spend the cash on safes or better lenses.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Brightness doesn't matter as far as colours are concerned. However it does when ambient light is taken into account, especially if you're comparing prints to the monitor. The calibrator may/may not set the brightness for you, don't know your calibrator in detail. Suggest setting it where you want it - mid range, then calibrate. Compare it to prints and adjust, you'll probably find the monitor is too bright. However if you then adjust the screen brightness, you may lose your highlights or clip the shadows, so it's usually better to have a daylight light to illuminate prints and keep the room light relatively dark. A halogen desk lamp usually works well and is round about 5K in colour temp. But it's usually a lot brighter than most people's room lights...

old git

Tremendous Bore
Apologies young Ian. Senior moment, still thinking of DTP. :confused:

iMac? Nice little bit of kit and just right for social photography and more up market than my Mini.

Mac Pro, great bit of kit but an acquaitance who makes training videos needs a new Logic Board after a comparatively short period of use. Only goes to prove, even the mighty fall.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Apologies young Ian. Senior moment, still thinking of DTP. :confused:

iMac? Nice little bit of kit and just right for social photography and more up market than my Mini.

Mac Pro, great bit of kit but an acquaitance who makes training videos needs a new Logic Board after a comparatively short period of use. Only goes to prove, even the mighty fall.
This would be my spec:

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB (4x2GB)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) and User's Guide (English)
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n

Current cost is £2,853.00 incl. VAT without Applecare

Add a 30" monitor at £1,500........... mrs hd would shoot me, nah something slower and more painful!

I don't do enough photography at the moment to justify much more than I have. Just added some extra RAM and may opt for a larger HDD.

I'd sooner get a MacBook Pro in the short term, it'd be more use.

With the calibration software I have, I can set the target luminance to whatever I want. Since getting the Leica M8, I have much more shadow detail available to me and it's finding the best balance for the monitor that is a challenge - web vs prints.

I'm also intending to start down the exhibition path again in 2010 which will start with me (hopefully) getting my APRS and then attempting to get some work into the FIAP international exhibitions.

I now have a closed loop colour management system using the Eye One and my Epson scanner (with Coloreye Pro and Ez Color profiling software). Of course, typically my A3 printer has died which has put a spanner in the works somewhat. :(

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom