All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I'm your friendly neighbourhood jazzdude

jazzdude

Hi just joined. I'm from Basingstoke UK. I've been playing sax for about 30 years. I play a Yamaha YSS475 soprano with a Dukoff D6 mouthpiece, Rovner light ligature and Van Doren Java 2.5 - Selmer SA80 II alto with Dukoff L6 mouthpiece, Rovner light and Van Doren Java 2.5 - Selmer SA80 II tenor with Dukoff M6 mouthpiece, Rovner Versa and Van Doren Java 2.5 - Academy Wind Instruments baritone with Dukoff M6, BG lig and Van Doren Jazz 2.5. I've also just got a Jericho alto from Academy Wind Instruments as a spare and teaching instrument which is an incredible instrument for the money - absolutely staggering value.

Andy

Taz

Busking Oracle
That's some collection you've got there, I hope you get time to do them all justice. Welcome to the cafe, in fact, now that you've joined, you won't have any spare time for saxes at all! Best give them to me then ;}

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertwae Lites down by yer in Wales, mind.
I hope that you enjoy your time on the forum.

Kind regards
Tom

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Welcome. OK we've got your gear list. Tell us something about yourself. What do you like to play, how are your musical heroes, etc.? You don’t have to of course, but 30 years experience deserves more of a mention surely.

navarro

Hi Andy and welcome. I went on a "Jane Austin trek" to Basingstoke with some Japanese visitors. Incredibly they also asked to see were Liz Hurley lived. evidently she is quite`big` in Osaka or someplace. What an eclectic wavelength beauty vs brains I don`t think Liz Hurley has written a book so we will put the brains down to Ms Austin. Have fun here. Regds N.

jazzdude

Hi Andy and welcome. I went on a "Jane Austin trek" to Basingstoke with some Japanese visitors. Incredibly they also asked to see were Liz Hurley lived. evidently she is quite`big` in Osaka or someplace. What an eclectic wavelength beauty vs brains I don`t think Liz Hurley has written a book so we will put the brains down to Ms Austin. Have fun here. Regds N.
Hi Navarro, I have a friend who went to school with Liz. Never met her myself as I only moved here 20 years ago.

jazzdude

Jim,

Yeah, twenty odd years ago I wanted to get my first quality mouthpiece so I went to Bill Lewingtons in London not knowing much about metal mouthpieces. I tried about half a dozen for my alto including a Berg Larsen, Lawton, Otto Link but the Dukoff was the most versatile for me. It had a far greater dynamic range than the others, I could play quietly but really get a powerful sound also, so I could go from Grover Washington to David Sanborn in a breath and it just felt natural so I've been a fan ever since.

jazzdude

Taz,

I don't get much opportunity to play the baritone, unfortunately. I also have a flute, a clarinet, an AKAI 4000S and a Jonah Thompson Navajo cedar flute. Still can't play the clarinet though.

oldblower

hi from near by! for some reason i also have a jerico alto, basingstoke must be the cr of something. Not been playing long but keen to learn, maybe we could meet up sometime.

jazzdude

Wade,

Well my early heroes were Paul Desmond (the reason I started playing saxophone), Count Basie Orchestra, Dexter Gordon, Bobby Wellins, Dick Morrissey. My favourite artists include Spyro Gyra, Chick Corea is my biggest influence, Herbie Hancock, David Sanborn, Grover Washington, Michael Brecker, Courtney Pine, Yellowjackets, Eric Marienthal, Rippingtons, Branford Marsalis, Weather Report, Stanley Clarke, Sting, Al Di Meola, Pat Metheny, JTQ, Corduroy, Galiano, Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, Incognito, Groove Collective, Joshua Redman, Soweto Kinch, Esbjorn Svensson, Tony Kofi, Avishai Cohen, Talking Heads, Earth Wind And Fire, Gil Scott-Heron, and I am a massive Level 42 fan.

So as you can tell I like jazz and funk. Currently I play in a funk band which involves 12 musicians. I manage the band and write the horn section arrangements. I also have a jazz quartet. In addition to this I dep for various bands.

jazzdude

hi from near by! for some reason i also have a jerico alto, basingstoke must be the cr of something. Not been playing long but keen to learn, maybe we could meet up sometime.
Hi Oldblower. I can teach if you want some lessons. Send me a private message.

Andy

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom