support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

I'm Simon the Sax Player!

Simon

Hey all!

Been reading here for a while, but i thought I'd sign up so i can join in the convo's!

I'm Simon, 15 (16 next week! ), and been playing Alto Sax for a few years, did the normal, grades ect, but decided against doing anything after grade 5 as its pointless in my opinion.. Why would you need a slip of paper to say you can rock a sax? :) So i'm currently just working on some of the Really famous Sax Lines - Misty, Take Five, Some Dire Straits stuff :)

So i'll be around! Posting ect!

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Collective down by yer in Wales. Of course you do not need musical grades to prove anything about your playing, unless you were going on to do music at university etc. At the same time they can be a really useful thing for a late developer to achieve in terms of personal fulfilment.

I personally love Alto most of the saxes, and appreciate that it is not JUST a starter instrument, though many folks start off playing one. I look forward to getting to know you over the coming months. Anyway, back to "Odessa" as part of my trumpet practice!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hi

but decided against doing anything after grade 5 as its pointless in my opinion.. Why would you need a slip of paper to say you can rock a sax? :)

Well, no, you don't need a piece of paper for that but they are useful for some people. I did grade 8 nearly 30 years ago to give myself a kick up the bum to do some proper practising - scales and stuff. I found it very useful and haven't regretted it a bit. But of course, no band has ever asked me what my qualifications are.

Enjoy your stay!

Of course i'm not trying to put anyone down to does do the grades, If your that way inclined for the practise regime and scales etc. Of course they are great. I'm actually working on taking grade 5 Music theory as well, once i have that i don't think i'm going to be looking at any more of the ABRSM exams anytime soon :) Although being in a Theory class full of Piano players doesn't help really :/

OK Simon so here's the challenge. I took grade 5 theory last year at 59. Hadn't done an exam of any sort for 30 odd years. Got a distinction. My music teacher tells her recalcitrant teenage pupils that she's got this old bloke who's passed so they ought to be able to. So see if you can beat my 94%!
YC

Back
Top Bottom