All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I'm New Here! Hello!

Vintage Sax Lover

Hey folks, I've viewed the posts here many times and found some great info. Figured it's time for me to join up.

Alex is my name, and I've been playing for about 30 years. Tenor is my primary and alto is just there if needed. I play an old Pan American tenor that sounds like a 10M to anyone wearing a blindfold, and a Selmer series III alto that I sort of kind of like.....really want a 6m though! Looking forward to making connections and learning from all the knowledge floating around on this site.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi from me. VSL.... I'm a big vintage fan... But more in the european mould.... Have fun.

compound

Welcome Alex i'm sure you will have a good time at the Cafe. 30 years playing eh, i would think you will have a lot of knowledge to pass on to us. What sort of music do you like, and which performers etc.
Regards Rob.

TomMapfumo

Hi Alex!

A Big Welcome from the Skabertawe Fraser Jarvis Dixieland Big Band down by yer in Wales, mind!
No Vintage saxes, but Trumpets, Cornets and Trombones from the 50's and 60's.

Have a Cool Yule!
Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

What

Howdy and welcome to the forum. I am new to playing and the forum here, but one of the best things here is how we share what we do know no matter how little or great that knowledge might be. It's an excellent group here and I hope you enjoy. I myself keep an eye out for good vintage horns.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Alex.

The majority of the members are Veteran rather than Vintage in car terms, the odd ones want to outdo Methuselah. Some even knew young Sax at school. >:)>:)>:)

ENJOY!​™

Fraser Jarvis

Hi Alex!

A Big Welcome from the Skabertawe Fraser Jarvis Dixieland Big Band down by yer in Wales, mind!
No Vintage saxes, but Trumpets, Cornets and Trombones from the 50's and 60's.

Have a Cool Yule!
Kind regards
Tom :thumb:
Name dropper! ha ha...

navarro

Hi V.S.L. and welcome from a vintage person. In the fifties the first saxophone I ever heard played in a combo was a Grafton made up of a mix of Acrylic and metal. It had a strange sound there seemed to be no resonance. But a beautiful looking instrument.

Ridiculed by many but played ocassionally by the greats. The `Bird` at the Massey Hall concert Canada and I believe Ornette Coleman also.

They (The Grafton.) were London manufactured designed by an Italian emigre. Later by John E Dallas and Sons. I well remember walking past Boosey and Hawkes (Newcastle upon Tyne) and seeing one in the window. Retailed at £55.00. (1955/6) it was far beyond the the means of the average man in the street. (So I bought one. Ha Ha only kidding.)

The one Mr. Parker used was auctioned in the 90s and was sold for £93000.(Buyer American Jazz Museum.) due to it being blown by the great man himself.

If today you can get hold of one in good condition it will cost you one to two thousand £s. But buyer beware the Jigs and tools used in their manufacture were destroyed in 1968 after bankruptcy proceedings.

Here`s a little anecdote The Bird when he played it had to bill himself as Charlie Chan due to contractorial obligations and apears as such on the Massey Hall CD. I think you are going to have a great time here V.S.L. Regds. From a ruminating old fool. `Budgie Navarro.`

Last edited by a moderator:

Vintage Sax Lover

I love to play jazz, blues and funk the most, but was classically trained as a youth. Though I've been playing since I was a kid, I really have only become serious about it over the past 4 or 5 years. It was not until I realized that blowing a horn is my true calling that I dedicated fully to it, and no matter how much I progress, I will be an eternal student. Nobody knows it all.... right?

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom