All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

I'm in love with Trevor (in time for Valentines)

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
With the kids on half-term, we all went in to London yesterday to be tourists. My wife had a meeting in the morning for a couple of hours, so me and the kids dropped in on Denmark St.

My daughter had a play on the pianos in Rose Morris, my son had a play on the bass guitars in Wunjo, and then it was my turn >:)

We went in to sax.co.uk and I explained that, while I am a beginner, I have no objection to settings my sights high, and so wanted to try some "proper posh tenor saxes". Liam (nice bloke, looked after me), set me up with a Trevor James Raw, a Raw XS, a Mauriat and a Yamaha 62 (I'd brought my mouthpiece along).

I expected the Yamaha to be my favourite, as that was the one I was thinking of getting (eventually) when I'ved saved up my pennies.

However, the TJ Raw was just amazing. I preferred it to the XS, both of them to the Mauriat, and all three to the Yamaha.

I had a great time playing it (well, all 4 actually), and even my kids both said that I didn't sound as bad as normal. Praise indeed ;}

I didn't have time to play every sax in the shop (shame), but I now have an idea of what I like (other than this, my only sax experience has been on my Jericho tenor).

The Raw felt good, was "easy" to play, and sounded great. Even I could make it sound good, and get different tones from it. The only thing I'm not keen on is the look (what can I say, I like shiny), but it's worth it for that sound and feel.

I won't be getting one soon (I have a certain level of playing I have set myself to achieve before upgrading), but the day will come, and it will be mine :D

Profusia

I'm jealous of your try-out session. But I daren't go and try any top end saxes myself as I know I'd just get serious GAS. I've heard the Raw's are pretty amazing though.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I believe that davey's current weapon of choice too - you'll be getting one before you planned. Go on you know you want to...

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I believe that davey's current weapon of choice too - you'll be getting one before you planned. Go on you know you want to...
Oh yes my lovely Raw XS beasty.I feel very at home on it.They got the ergonomics spot on.As for the sound its just great.Compact focused tight core,huge power and very even scale.When i tested the normal Raw TJ i got mine within a few weeks>:).They stand up to all the hype for a good reason.Saying that all your top end horns are amazing but its just what floats your boat and what you feel suits you.Theres plenty of sound clips of me on mine and i think it shows the horns overall sound on all styles and power.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Great to hear you had a good time with it, at least you have a real incentive to progress now;}

Jx

Fraser Jarvis

If your ever up this neck of the woods Tim, come and have a blow on my Selmer...might even change your mind again!

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
Davey, I have a feeling you could make a rolled up bit of bacofoil sound good, but yes the Raw does sound pretty awesome!

Fraser, might take you up on that one time when we're visiting family in Leicester :D

daveysaxboy

If your ever up this neck of the woods Tim, come and have a blow on my Selmer...might even change your mind again!

Yes its nice owning a Selmer then after time you see sense and get someting better and cheaper>:):))):))) oh i am cheeky,humour in there though.Modern Selmers for me are Series III and Ref 36 2nd.Dont like the Ref 54 or Series II but each to there own.I like Keilwerth horns and many dont.As normal try as many good horns as you can and you may get a Selmer :shocked: but i know i would not>:) or get a beat up stuffy MKVI and spend a bomb >:)

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
Clever Trevor.....
Or 'Clevor Trever' as Ian Dury spelled it.

I really wish I had the nerve to go to a shop and try out a sax or two. I have had mine for over a year now and still wouldn't feel confident to go out and play anything in public :eek:

Merryfisher

Timbo - give in now and just go get one - you know you want to! don't waste your money on anything else. for years i swore by my trusted 40 year old YTS61, which in my opinion always sound better and was easier/more reliable to play then any Selmer i tried....and then came the RAW, which now for the last year has now become my gig horn! It is a monster. And I have the bonus of my old '61 as a backup...For me, GAS is over. How good is that!

Fraser Jarvis

Yes its nice owning a Selmer then after time you see sense and get someting better and cheaper>:):))):))) oh i am cheeky,humour in there though.Modern Selmers for me are Series III and Ref 36 2nd.Dont like the Ref 54 or Series II but each to there own.I like Keilwerth horns and many dont.As normal try as many good horns as you can and you may get a Selmer :shocked: but i know i would not>:) or get a beat up stuffy MKVI and spend a bomb >:)
Yes it is nice owning one, especially one as good as mine!

Fraser Jarvis

Enjoy your french lady.If you like thats all that matters everytime.
Thing was, i got it for less than I've ever seen one for sale before or since and when i tried it it absolutely buried the Barone i was playing at the time, so I'm more than happy....dont want to get into a war of who's got the best sax do we now? Anyway Davey, my sax is better than your sax.....so there (sticks two fingers up with a smug look on my face).

daveysaxboy

Thing was, i got it for less than I've ever seen one for sale before or since and when i tried it it absolutely buried the Barone i was playing at the time, so I'm more than happy....dont want to get into a war of who's got the best sax do we now? Anyway Davey, my sax is better than your sax.....so there (sticks two fingers up with a smug look on my face).
Remember i did say every top end horn is amazing>:).Its what suits you sir.Wayne Shorter played a Bundy alto i once heard.If he was happy thats all he cared about.I like winding up Selmer players:))),me bad.I cant help myself,theres no hope:))).Anyways my my Dads bigger than your Dad:))):))):)))

daveysaxboy

No, it should be my Dad can BEAT your Dad! or my Dad's car is faster than your Dads! Take care Davey and enjoy your Chinese lady...

Some sweet and sour Eastern spice warms the cockles although you mean Taiwan>:).I got sick of all my old French ladys long ago,They stunk of garlic and cost me alot so i bombed them out.I'm D man:))):))):))).

Fraser Jarvis

you mean Taiwan
No i mean parts sourced from China, then assembled in Taiwan, like so many other so called Taiwan, sax's. (can of worms opened, but someone had to do it!) No to be honest i don't know if Trevor James do that but it does happen with some so called Taiwanese sax's.....on the other hand how many Taiwanese geezers do you know called Trevor?

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom