All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I'm after a favour please

Taz

Busking Oracle
Can anyone that plays piano/keyboard please please please take a listen to this piece and then make a backing track for me. I know it's a huge favour to ask but it's such a beautiful tune, I've just got to have it!
Free tickets to see my band? I'll supply you with a good amount of backing tracks from my library? I'll love you forever....well a short while any way!

The track is "Etuda For Franca" by Gerry Mulligan

Here's a spotify Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet Dreamer

I have a keyboard and limited piano playing skills. Don't know if I could play this or not. I can't hear the spotify link, for some reason it's not working on my computer. If you have another way to hear it could you email me the link, or mp3? Also if you have the piano dots that would even be better. Even if you could find a midi of this piece that would help because I could load that into a sheet music program and get the dots that way.

Like I say, I don't know if I can help or not. I need to hear it first.

Sweet Dreamer

Well, just for the record, don't let my offer to try this, dissuade anyone else from offering.

I haven't heard it yet and it may very well be over my piano skill level anyway. Also, even if I can play it, I'm not the greatest musician in general anyway. So if there is anyone else out there interested in helping Taz out, don't hesitate to offer!

I'm just willing to try to take a shot at it,... if I can. I won't be the least bit disappointed or offended if someone else steps up to the plate here. So if you're interested don't hesitate to jump right in! And don't forget about the free tickets and backing tracks! I'm not shooting for the prize anyway. I just thought it might be interesting to see if I can do this.

Bari251

Hi Taz
Thanks for making me aware of the Mulligan tune "Etude for Franca". I received the CD from Amazon yesterday, and have just managed to write out the chords and melody from the sleeve notes. As you probably know, it is in very very small handwritten form. I will be making a playalong for my own use. Are you still interested? The written version differs from the version on the CD (my errors plus artistic licence by GM maybe).
Malcolm

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Malcom, yes I am, I've been so busy at the moment I haven't had time to rip an mp3 for SD to have a listen too so if you manage to do it, I would love a copy.
Thanks very much, and to SD for offering the help.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks Kostas, there is something so special about this tune, it brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it... without fail! I love playing along to it and I get so upset when I don't do it justice. Mulligan had such a gentle way with that bari, it's so wonderful to really hear it, up close and personal.
As a matter of interest, does anyone know of any similar pieces, either by Mulligan or any other artists?

Taz

Busking Oracle
Brilliant Malcom, thats a very nicely done track. Thanks very much.

Sweet Dreamer

I've produced a very quick backing track for this tune - see my web site..
http://sites.google.com/site/improvisejazz/
Look on the backing tracks page.
Hope it is of use Taz (and anyone else who likes the tune).
Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Malcolm
Thanks Malcom, you did a fine job. I think I could physically play this piece myself, it sounds easy enough. But it would take me quite a while to try to figure it out though even from your backing track with the sax out of the way. I do far better with dots.

As for improvements, the beginning and end sound a bit abrupt. I'm not sure if there is much that can be done about that. The ending in particular seems to be cut off. Maybe my download didn't download properly? It seems to cut off abruptly at 2:48 and didn't really sound like a natural ending to me.

I do have the file size as 1548 kb which is the same file size you have on your web page. I downloaded it twice and got the same ending both times.

Nice web site by the way!

Bari251

Yes. I probably did miss an extra bar at the end of the tune. The CD ends with a rit, which needs a bit of extra work with Band in a Box to be effective.
I assume that if you want to play the tune, you will learn it from the recording. I am not prepared to put the melody in the public domain, since I assume it is copyright. The chords/backing, I believe are OK from the legal point of view.
The backing tracks I generaly produce are for the use of people who play in one of the practice bands I'm a member of. We use 'real books' for the melody.
Malcolm

Taz

Busking Oracle
Malcome, it works just fine thanks. If I do ever manage to do the tune justice, I'll upload the finished mp3 and just fade the ending!
Superb work. Is that all done in BIAB?

Bari251

The backing track was made using Band in a Box with the Kladerman piano style. I use a Ketron SD2 synth, and feed that into a Zoom H4n to record to mp3.
I've put my version (second take) of the tune, onto my website
http://sites.google.com/site/improvisejazz/
Backing tracks page.
My wife says it is a nice tune, but sounds 'a bit of a dirge' when I play it.
Ah well, the world tour is probably still a bit further off!
Malcolm

Taz

Busking Oracle
I think you did very well Malcom. It's a difficult tune to breath life into. Again, well done.

Moz

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/song?q=franca mulligan
Follow this link to hear the song. It's really a great tune!!!
I've had problems with my browser and couldn't hear it from spotify...:blush:
Thanks Taz for pointing this tune out!!!
Could not find it in Real Books so if anyone gets his hands on this pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzeee share it with us!!!:w00t:
Never mind the song, it's the site that's so good. I'd never heard of Grooveshark but have it on most of the time now. All those 70's progrock songs in one long performance! Brilliant!

Thanks for that.

Martin

Top Bottom