support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

If you miss 'Wiki'

Jack

All you Wikifonia fans - go to the "Fansofonia" Facebook page and "like" it. It's purpose is to find a replacement site for Wikifonia, and you will be able to monitor the progress. Having lots of followers there will help when we talk to other potential sites. If you have mXML files that could be uploaded to a new site, send a message to Fansofonia.

https://www.facebook.com/wikifonia?filter=2

hope this helps

All you Wikifonia fans - go to the "Fansofonia" Facebook page and "like" it. It's purpose is to find a replacement site for Wikifonia, and you will be able to monitor the progress. Having lots of followers there will help when we talk to other potential sites. If you have mXML files that could be uploaded to a new site, send a message to Fansofonia.

https://www.facebook.com/wikifonia?filter=2

hope this helps

Breaking news quoted below:

"People, I suggest you take a look at the Fansofonia timeline, particularly a post by user "Eroge Eroge". It is the complete archive of every Wikifonia lead sheet in mxl format. I don't know how long it's going to remain available, but this means you can have the entire Wikifonia on your computer. If you grab that archive, and have Musescore (or Finale, etc) installed, your own computer is a virtual Wikifonia. The entire archive is only 34 megabytes, which is ridiculously small for the more than 4000 lead sheets. The archive is currently hosted at Mega, which is a New Zealand site for file-hosting. It might get taken down any time, so I suggest you get this. I'm not sure we'll get another chance."

Also:
"Eroge Eroge
Every single Wikifonia sheet music file, all of them in mxl format."

https://mega.co.nz/#!BdsFHAKT!DhPOxGyICe7PlhqHIZjGM3C5FKh8ACFc4S3RpwRGZzs

My comment: Incidentally, it seems that a big area of contention (or 'unsettled law') with copyright is over lyrics, rather than sheet music... which may be what Wikifonia's disappearance is about...this probably says more about lawyers in general than anything else...

Coming up with a good melody and getting it on paper takes a reasonable amount of ability, whereas lyrics... most lyrics seem to require peculiar pronunciation, grunts, groans, sighs and imagination on the part of singers to fit the melody, and could have been written by any sub-literate ten year old...

On reflection most of them probably have been written by sub-literate ten year olds...

Last edited:
Done. It works but of course it`s clumsy compared to Good Ol wikifonia RIP. Musiscore is using a sledgehammer on a nut and the cataloging is a shambles but a lot better than nothing . I don`t have finale anymore so can`t comment on features.

Hopefully someone will package a light weight alternative to Finale/ Musiscore with a properly sorted database

Done. It works but of course it`s clumsy compared to Good Ol wikifonia RIP. Musiscore is using a sledgehammer on a nut and the cataloging is a shambles but a lot better than nothing . I don`t have finale anymore so can`t comment on features.

Hopefully someone will package a light weight alternative to Finale/ Musiscore with a properly sorted database

Finale Notepad is free http://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/ might that be sufficient?

Clivey - The index is different, but I on the other hand found Wikifonia's search engine pretty ropey, throwing up all sorts of stuff unconnected with what I wanted. Having played with musescore for a few minutes it seemed to me that provided you know the author you can get the tune, if it is on file. (The scrolling was wild until I found what to do, which makes it very good - but I can't describe until I go on it again...) An alphabetical title list would be useful but I haven't found one yet...

It could just be me - I've only played with it for a short while.

The transpose facility needs a few more keystrokes, but on the other hand you don't have the downloading business that Wikifonia had, so I think (!) it's swings and roundabouts on transposing.

The display is different - I haven't printed anything out yet, so how wysiwyg it is I don't know.

On the plus side it looks as if musescore is a pretty sophisticated score writing package, which is a big extra and great if you want to write scores - and it also looks as though it will let you hear what you have written (I'm guessing by looking at the toolbar, so I could be wrong). But if so, it could be used as a learn-to-write-music teaching aid...

As you say, there may be a better package out there (or maybe one will materialise) but musescore might be a useful tool in other ways. I intend playing with it soon... anyone else had a go, who can clue us in?

DHM - Finale is mentioned on Fansofonia but I haven't investigated it...

Just found this on Fansofonia - how to search using the title of the song. So that's one more puzzle solved.

Edith Sommers
In Musescore go to file/open to navigate to the folder containing all the wikifonia mxls and click on it to view all the songs. In the upper right hand corner you will see a search box with the name of your folder. Enter the title of the song and it will display. Click to open in Musescore.

If you miss 'Wiki' and want an alternative read on.

After some homework on my part it seems 'Musecore' has the facility to open and read BiaB .mgu files.
So this site gives you BiaB files

'Alternative'

You should be able to download the whole library, then open the song you want from inside Musescore. I already
had them all, but I have tried some they work very well.

Chris..

I wasn't aware of the access to BiaB files. I did download the Wiki files after seeing the 'how to' here and used Musescore to open them and to print off 'Take Five' after changing the key. Great stuff! I'll definitely check out the BiaB files. Thanks. Jim
I wasn't aware of the access to BiaB files. I did download the Wiki files after seeing the 'how to' here and used Musescore to open them and to print off 'Take Five' after changing the key. Great stuff! I'll definitely check out the BiaB files. Thanks. Jim

I have totally failed in trying to use MuseScore to open the Wikifonia files.

What is the secret?

UPDATE!
Light dawns... in a limited way (but at least I can download and print stuff!)
To anyone else who has had problems like zelda (jim) and myself ....see other thread ....'All you Wikifonia fans' in the Breakfastroom.

Last edited:
It took me ages to figure out how to use the zipped wikifonia folder in conjunction with Musescore

I have just got it cracked (just before it cracked me!)

Yur 'tiz:

Download the wikifonia folder and save in Downloads folder.

To access files:

Go into 'downloads'folder, double click on wikifonia folder to open. The files will be MXL files - and it seemed to me for ages, totally unusable! Zip file openers wouldn't do it...grrrrrr. However, it's simple when you know how...

Find the file you want and left click on it to highlight it. Then right click on it to open dialogue box and then click on 'copy'.

Then load MuseScore and click on 'file', then on 'open'.

Move cursor into box, right click to open dialogue box and click on 'paste'.

The file will then appear in the (obvious) box. Click to open - it will be in concert pitch. To transpose - find 'notes' on toolbar and click on it to open dialogue.

Find 'transpose' and click on it. The rest is straightforward - transpose up a major second for Bb instruments and up a major sixth (or down a minor third) for Eb instruments . I found one which was written too low and needed to go up an octave, and then up a major second.

Click on 'save as', edit title to what you want - e.g. I add 'for Bb instrument'.

Do check this out - I think it's correct, but my head is spinning from trying a squillion things which didn't work, so there could be the odd error...

Last edited:
" before it cracked me..." So, it's not only myself; I'll be referring back to your post, kernewegor, when I go back to Wikifonia/MuseScore next time. I've only used it a few times but it was a struggle every time. It was a case of "I know it's here somewhere!" point, click, point, click, etc., etc. Thanks.

" before it cracked me..." So, it's not only myself; I'll be referring back to your post, kernewegor, when I go back to Wikifonia/MuseScore next time. I've only used it a few times but it was a struggle every time. It was a case of "I know it's here somewhere!" point, click, point, click, etc., etc. Thanks.
I thought I might not be the only one!

I'm not saying that what I described is the best way to access files... some fansofonia members somehow say that they get the wikifonia folder inside MuseScore and then they can also use the option of searching by song title, rather than by composers names...which is a bugger if you don't know who wrote it!

The problem with the 'how I did it' on fansofonia is that their descriptions are so vague... and so-called 'intuitive' software is only so if your intuition is that of a geek...

Also the operating system one is using might mean what works for one won't for another...

So... has anyone got a better way of using MuseScore/wikifonia, feel free to enlighten the rest of us... but, please... click by click descriptions as per above....

If you miss 'Wiki' and want an alternative read on.

After some homework on my part it seems 'Musecore' has the facility to open and read BiaB .mgu files.
So this site gives you BiaB files

'Alternative'

You should be able to download the whole library, then open the song you want from inside Musescore. I already
had them all, but I have tried some they work very well.

Chris..

Chris, this looks geat!

But... having had to struggle for ages with MuseScore and the wikifonia library (so above and posting in Breakfast Room) could you (or anyone else who knows their onions) give a little more information, please?

When I click on the link I get a long list of folders organised alphabetically.

Does one have to download each individually, or is there another way?

Kernewegor, first of all I'm using 'Opera' as my browser, others might be different.
I just opened each folder, then held Ctrl and left clicked each file. Each one opened
new window but I could still see what I was doing did this page by page. It took a while but
it was worth it. There is probably a better way than this, but this worked for me.

If you unzip the 'wiki' folder and keep it on your HD. You can then go to from inside of 'MuseScore' and find the file you want there. On Win7 PC's once you have opened the 'wiki' folder inside of 'MuseScore', you can search for the song title in the search box top right hand corner, just type in the song name or part song name if it's a long one.