• Soprano

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
From Pinterest, some rare Conn saxes. The question is asking what sax you would pick of any saxophone, the photo is just illustrative of a bunch of instruments.
Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 15.42.48.png

Please check the one you would pick if limited to one and feel free to expose the reasons for your choice in comments!

Last edited:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Wait... you mean I have to pick one of the Conn's ? Or just one sax Voice ?

jbtsax

Subscriber
Easy question. The alto was the sax I played through secondary school and college both in symphonic band and jazz ensemble. I didn't pick up tenor until years after I had graduated. I love playing soprano, tenor, and bari as well, but as my teacher says "the alto is my voice".

Pete Effamy

I'm the same as Jb. I love hearing bari and Sop can be beautiful but the bulk of jazz and pop is played on alto and tenor. Tenor can do everything in the hands of a great player, and whilst some Rock 'n' Roll solos have been played on alto, I'm not a lover of it. So, tenor has Rock 'n' Roll but alto has Big Band lead alto. As Jb, I've spent most years on the alto so that's my natural voice. The 'novelty' sizes are exactly that for me, I'm afraid (he said, ducking the flying punches).

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
With relation to financial reasons for owning only one:
“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.”
― Oscar Wilde

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
For me it is also alto. All the way. The first saxophone I ever played, the one I have by far the most experience on and the only one I have ever played in an ensemble, as 2nd alto and currently lead. It's also the sound I hear in my head, the range I identify with. Like @jbtsax , it is my voice.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Somehow I expect it ends up tenor in thje #1 spot, but for some reason, a lot of posts of SOTM/BOTM are bari. Why?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Tenor for me.

If I had the dosh, I'd have a Bari and a soprano too. Alto can sound great in the right hands, but just doesn't appeal to me as an instrument I'd like to play.

Pete Effamy

Tenor for me.

If I had the dosh, I'd have a Bari and a soprano too. Alto can sound great in the right hands, but just doesn't appeal to me as an instrument I'd like to play.
I'd love a bari, but I can't juggle the ones I have well enough without adding to my spreading of thin-ness

Pete Effamy

With relation to financial reasons for owning only one:
“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.”
― Oscar Wilde
Didn't he also quip “When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.”

Pete Effamy

He also said, “No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.”
Are you Googling these?! The only other one I know is the one about being in the gutter and looking up at the stars.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom