support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner If you could go back in time...

tomjiujitsu

Hi all, I'm a newbie of 2 years with the sax. I was wondering if you could tell yourself 3 things when you first started playing the sax, what would it be? What tips would you give yourself to help yourself become a better player? Thanks

1. Develop steady, consistent, well disciplined practice habits.
2. Take lessons from the best teachers (not players) you can find.
3. Listen to great players, both jazz and classical in concert and on recordings.
4. Don't waste time and money chasing equipment in order to sound better.

A very good question Tom
No 1 Depends how self assured you are, because that will influence how you see your progress. Some will always blame themselves for short comings, but it may be faulty equipment.
So. No.1 buy the best and preferably new instrument you can.
No.2 when practicing go for precision and not speed.
No.3 practice what you can't play more than the things you can.

1. Don't waste time/energy worrying about whether you've got talent or not. If You love music, that's all the talent you need.

2. Train your ears. Never too soon to start. I'd like to go back 45 years and tell myself this one!

3. Patience and slow practice will get you there (wherever that may be).

A very good question Tom
No 1 Depends how self assured you are, because that will influence how you see your progress. Some will always blame themselves for short comings, but it may be faulty equipment.
So. No.1 buy the best and preferably new instrument you can.
No.2 when practicing go for precision and not speed.
No.3 practice what you can't play more than the things you can.

Wow, thank you for sharing. Number 3 seem so simple but I could not see it. I will definitely start practicing the stuff I can't play more. Thanks again James.

Don't just practise, have a plan

Don't let contradictory advice put you off, listen to it all and make your own decision

Listen to yourself as you play and compare it to how you want to sound, musically and tonally. Work hard on bringing the two together.

This is a really good question!
1) Get a really good teacher (i.e. not just the one you have been allocated or the one who lives nearest: seek out a player you really admire who has the experience to give you the right attention and guidance) (grasshopper).
2) Buy the best equipment you can afford (with the recommendation of said teacher).
3) STICK WITH THAT EQUIPMENT!! (no G.A.S.)

Something I learned a long time ago while studying to be a music teacher is to treat each rehearsal or practice session like a meal.

Start with an appetizer: Warm up.
Then the main course: What you need to work on (what you can't play)
Finish with the dessert: Something you know, that is fun to play.

A 30 minute practice session might be 5 min. 20 min. 5 min.

This is a really good question!
1) Get a really good teacher (i.e. not just the one you have been allocated or the one who lives nearest: seek out a player you really admire who has the experience to give you the right attention and guidance) (grasshopper).
2) Buy the best equipment you can afford (with the recommendation of said teacher).
3) STICK WITH THAT EQUIPMENT!! (no G.A.S.)
What is G.A.S stand for?

If I was starting again:
Always use your diaphragm and push through notes.
Play musically, not note by note.
James' advice - practice what you can't play. Don't practice want you can play as it wastes your practice time.