support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

IEMs with effects pedal

Skateyj

Locality
Whitby
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows anything at all about IEM set up with an effects pedal?

Here's some info;
I play in a loud punk band
I can never hear myself through the monitors
I play totally by ear
I want to use a Boss vocal effects pedal
I use a wired dynamic clip on mic

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to be able to make this work!? If I play by ear will the IEMs mean I can't hear anyone else?

Thanks in advance!

IEM...can't help

I wear earplugs, expensive ones that block evenly through the frequencies so the overall noise level is diminished, and I channel sax mic to my own small monitor aimed at my head with a direct throughput to mixing desk. So I control the monitor level without affecting the sax level in the front of house speakers

This set-up is similar to @Nick Wyver

IEM...can't help

I wear earplugs, expensive ones that block evenly through the frequencies so the overall noise level is diminished, and I channel sax mic to my own small monitor aimed at my head with a direct throughput to mixing desk. So I control the monitor level without affecting the sax level in the front of house speakers

This set-up is similar to @Nick Wyver[/QU
IEM...can't help

This set-up is similar to @Nick Wyver

Thanks for this. Why do you think it won't work?

Unfortunately, we often play venues with only one monitor. I have tried taking a small amp to use as my own personal monitor but sound folk seem to not like this! I thought IEMs could be the answer. I've tried playing with (musicians) ear plugs but I can't get over the strangeness of how the sax sounds in my head and also, because of playing by ear, I couldn't hear the band clearly enough.
Argh - I'm tearing my hair out over this! There must be an answer!

I've been using Shure IEM's for the past 4 Months. I use two TC Helicon voice live stomp boxes (tone and reverb) which I plug my mic into, with a line out to the Mixer. Works Great for me. Singing is so much easier and my ears and nice and ring free by the end of the evening.

I'm a singer, so using them, I can hear myself clear as a bell. My singing has improved measurably. My Shure SE215 in ears are not completely isolating, which works to my advantage, as I can still hear the other instruments, without having to put them through my in ears. Not sure if it would work as well with in ear headphones that totally isolate. That might be a bit more complicated and possibly require a sound man, that we don't have.

Not sure how it would work with an instrument, as not tried.

Last edited:
Theoretically the IEM should give a balance of yourself within the mix, ie along with the band. So if you are just getting a feed from your effects pedal means you'd only hear yourself unless you take off one of the IEMs, I don't think I'd like to just hear myself in one ear and the band in the otyher. Also, unless the boss pedal can mix the wet/dry signal then you'd only be hrearing the effect, not your iunprocessed signal. That may also not be what you want.

Best thing with IEMs is to run them from a dedicated monitor mix of the whole PA.

I have tried taking a small amp to use as my own personal monitor but sound folk seem to not like this!
Why?
Tell them it's none of their business - it doesn't affect the out-front sound - and ask them why they don't get the guitarists to remove theirs..

Why?
Tell them it's none of their business - it doesn't affect the out-front sound - and ask them why they don't get the guitarists to remove theirs..

I agree totally, it is not up to them. I can see their point though if you are using a microphone and it causes feedback, but if you sue one appropriately it should be no problem.

However the other side of the coin can be worse. I was on a gig once where the sound "person" was recording for a video, and somehow got it into his head that the bass should have no amp and be DI'd only with an on stage monitor.

All very well for the bass player who agreed on account of having a decent nmonitor, but somehow the bass never got to the saxophone monitors, so for me was a nightmare trying to play along with absolutely no bass at all.

So it's all down to people being competent really, both the amplified players and the sound engineer.

Hey! If anyone's still interested in this, I would suggest using either an Eventide Mixing Link or a small mixer with an FX loop (most should also have a headphone out). If you're playing with a loud band, you probably don't need more of the other instruments. It should be enough to just hear more of yourself.

I've just started a YouTube channel where I explore the use of effects pedals with saxophone or other mic'ed instruments. Look for SaxPedalGuy.

Cheers!