All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Ie 9

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Anyone else using it? I just built a new pc for my kids and had to go to Win 7 (hate hate hate!!! Sorry Gandalfe).

On the way it offered me an upgrade to IE9. Painful. All the menus disappeared. And although you get a bit more on the screen, finding the important things is near impossible.

Anyone know where the cowboys at MS have hidden all the necessary stuff?

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I think most stuff is under the 'cog wheel' type icon on top right.

I've had nothing but trouble with IE9 trying to use Flash. I have a Bugbase outstanding with Adobe about it. Hence use of Fire Fox....

rhysonsax

I know it's not very helpful, but how about contemplating the Microsoft Haiku ?

Each Haiku poem has only 17 Syllables - 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, 5 in the third. They often achieve a wistful, yearning, and powerful insight through extreme brevity.
------------------------------------------------------
The Web site you seek

Cannot be located, but

Countless more exist.

-------------------- ------------------------
Chaos reigns within.

Reflect, repent, and reboot.

Order shall return.

--------------------------------------------
Program aborting.

Close all that you have worked on.

You ask far too much.

Windows NT crashed.

I am the Blue Screen of Death.

No one hears your screams.

Yesterday it worked.

Today it is not working.

Windows is like that.

Your file was so big.

It might be very useful.

But now it is gone.

Stay the patient course.

Of little worth is your ire.

The network is down.

----------------------------- ---------------
A crash reduces

Your expensive computer

To a simple stone.

Three things are certain:

Death, taxes and lost data.

Guess which has occurred.

-------------------------------------------
You step in the stream,

But the water has moved on.

This page is not here.

Out of memory.

We wish to hold the whole sky,

But we never will.

Having been erased,

The document you're seeking

Must now be retyped.

Serious error.

All shortcuts have disappeared.

Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

I ate your Web page.

Forgive me; it was tasty

And tart on my tongue.

Rhys

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Good ones Rhys!!!

Firefox.... I already use it at times, but.... I thought the kids would appreciate something leading edge, and while it's on the machine, I can try the forum with it so that you lot don't get so much grief when you switch. ;}

Safari... Why convert from one proprietary system to one that's even more locked in?

old git

Tremendous Bore
Good ones Rhys!!!

Firefox.... I already use it at times, but.... I thought the kids would appreciate something leading edge, and while it's on the machine, I can try the forum with it so that you lot don't get so much grief when you switch. ;}

Safari... Why convert from one proprietary system to one that's even more locked in?
I also run Firefox and Chrome, so where's the lock in?

Of course when the senior moments get really bed, I can even load Explorer.>:)

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Anyone else using it? I just built a new pc for my kids and had to go to Win 7 (hate hate hate!!! Sorry Gandalfe).

On the way it offered me an upgrade to IE9. Painful. All the menus disappeared. And although you get a bit more on the screen, finding the important things is near impossible.

Anyone know where the cowboys at MS have hidden all the necessary stuff?
Press the ALT button and watch the menubar appear. (This works for windows explorer too)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Well a couple of you got the joke!

subjectively it's faster than the other browsers I've used, but that may be down to the machine as well (but I refuse to believe that the kids dual core at 3.1GHz running Win 7 is faster than my 3.6GHz quad core running XP).

rudjarl

(but I refuse to believe that the kids dual core at 3.1GHz running Win 7 is faster than my 3.6GHz quad core running XP).
Depends on a number of things. 3.6 GHz is faster than 3.1 but how many threads is it on each of the processor cores? And 64bit instructions copes with more each time than 32bit instructions. Even if you both use 64bit OS' your kids Win7 will probably feel faster in many occasions because Win7 have more genuine 64bit code than XP and are generally more efficient. (Microsoft still need to put some attention to their file system and memory management to be really efficient though.)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
What they also need to sort out is systems hanging when one thread is trying to get something over an ethernet connection. Slightest hint of a delay there and the machine goes dead. Sadly the same still applies to Win 7.

As for the 3.6 Quad vs 3.1 Dual, lets not go there. Too many unknowns to make a proper comparison.

rudjarl

What they also need to sort out is systems hanging when one thread is trying to get something over an ethernet connection. Slightest hint of a delay there and the machine goes dead. Sadly the same still applies to Win 7.
Could just as well be the network card driver, not necessarily the OS. If your machine goes dead when the ethernet is active, chances are you need a new driver for it.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Could just as well be the network card driver, not necessarily the OS. If your machine goes dead when the ethernet is active, chances are you need a new driver for it.
Happens on a lot of machines I'm working with... It's a design flaw in Win.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom