support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Identify This Vintage French Alto. Huge Cash Prize ! (subject to availability)

Alley Cat

For a number of reasons, and in a rare moment of restraint, I didn't buy this horn but I'm still curious as to what make it is. Made for the old established Paris musical instrument dealer, Paul Beuscher, this stencil is almost certainly by one of the French marques but which one ? The extravagant key guard is bit of a red herring as they, as you probably already know, were fitted to various French makes as an optional extra (I think)

Guesses are very welcome but it would be wonderful if someone out there actually has one engraved SML, Couesnon, Buffet etc. The bell to body brace must be one of the biggest clues. Thanks.

HPIM8501.jpg

HPIM8502.jpg

HPIM8503.jpg

HPIM8506.jpg

HPIM8509.jpg

HPIM8510.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My expert guesses it's a Beaugnier.

Fantastic ! Thank you. I did search around the sax gallery sites but couldn't find anything quite like it but the confidence of your reply has persuaded me. Beaugnier ! Did you once own one ? I thought this was quite a pretty horn but the small amount of visible damage and the seller's reluctance to send any 'photos of the neck made me decide to pass on it. It went for £225/$370.

Interesting that the keyguards are mounted on pillars, and not sheet metal flaps.

Be very careful about the maker, unless you can find pics or another sax that's a very close match, it's very difficult to be sure.

Yes, now a bevy of my expert friends on Facebook suggest it must be a Buffet. They are basing that on the bell brace.

And one of the best pro players I know sez, "Now I know where my table napkin holder went." ;}

There's one with similar guard(s?) here: http://antiquesaxophones.blogspot.com/

Pic comes up well if you click on it to enlarge it. The site owner says is appears to be a Pierret Modele 6 stencil, looks as if the left little finger keys are different to yours, and the bell tone holes are on the left, consistent with the Model 6 Pierret. Explains the guard on the sax you're asking about, methinks. He also says the Malerne and Couesnon may have stencilled for P Beuscher.

So I'd guess a later Pierret than the model 6.

It is definitely a pierret stencil. I know that for a fact. 2 reasons. firstly i have one exactly like this one and secondly my great uncle worked for pierretfrom the. Late 30's up until the mid 60's and he still its in one of his old stencil catalogues. I hope this helps. I had mine values at approximately £750. 2 years ago just after i had it serviced.

This one is a later version of this model. Probably towards the end of his career (late 40s/50). This one has a Buffet Super Dynaction style pinkie table and a n earlier Buffet Dynaction bell to bow brace. Earlier models had an early Keilwerth/Conn 10M style pinkie table and a straight bar bell to bow brace.

I've been tempted by the few "Bargain Boistement" horns I've come across, the last of which was here: RARE ET SUPERBE SAXOPHONE ALTO P.BEUSCHER.STENCIL DE BOISTE.T.B.E.EN ETAT DE JEU

But even at a couple of hundred quid, there's not a lot of info to say it would sound any good, despite its good looks. I've almost stopped buying now. Started with a Jupiter 565-567 then my "quest" encompassed maybe 70-odd others but the SA80II has me satiated. Also why I can't be bothered to finish the prep on the Kohlert 57... yawn... (note I've kept the little old Conn though. Gotta love it!)

I confirm the Maurice BOISTE. I own a Tenor that was made for Robert Martin in Macon and the engraving on the bell that reads RM is done in the same style as the MB on Maurice Boiste models. It took me a while to identify mine, but I did thanks to a french woodwind repairer that shares his findings in his blog: luthiervent

Here's an image of my tenor:
RM%252316.jpg

Here is the engraving on mine:

RM-Macon-S%2526L.jpg

Similar to this:

Boiste+Maurice+%25C3%25A0+Paris+saxe+alto+ebay+12+2006.jpg+blog.jpg

MB or MR, who cares?

But Boiste it is!

Back
Top Bottom