SYOS

Ideas for a song

Amaranth

Hello,
I'm playing on and off with a new group of people on a Wednesday. One of them has worked at Music for a living most of his life and can be a bit disparaging with those of us who are strictly there to learn and enjoy. For example he said that his Sax player of 35 years can play anything he asks straight away and that I should be able to do the same. Of course then I act like a girl and get upset cos 6 months into playing the Sax, I definitely still need to know what I'm expected to play in advance so I can read the music, learn it, listen to it and practise at home before I'm happy to have a go.
Anyway this week I called him a Bully and he said fair enough! :shocked:
He then said for me to tell him something that I want to play and that he'll fit guitars/Drums etc around the Sax - Eeek!! I'm not a front liner, I'm a back up person - what on earth shall I play??
IF I did it then it would have to be something straightforward for me that i could learn easily, it needs to be a cover of something popular and recognisable. 70's/80's/90's Would, I suspect, be whats expected either bluesy or soft rock.
Any ideas please?
Aly

old git

Tremendous Bore
Have you only just discovered that we oldies are taking advantage of you? A more polite explanation is that we are either eccentric or characters. :ashamed

Call his bluff, 'Satisfaction' has some good riffs providing Keef isn't there and you can challenge Monsieur Bullee to do the 'Big Lips' bit. ;}

Pee Dee

If it was me I would be out of there like a shot. Nothing worse than falling flat on our face, could destroy your confidence for ever! Only six months in, you should be at home practicing. I been at it just over two years now, and play second sax (one of two), with the chance of a six bar solo now and again in a learning band. And that's good enough for now, but when I'm practising at home, playing along with Lester Young etc I'm a star:welldone
But, if you must do this, why not the Beatles? Hey Jude, Penny Lane, She's Leaving Home, can sound quite bluesy. Good luck;}

Bude Bill

What about John Denver's "Annies Song" its not exactly bluesy, but its a nice steady sax. piece and fairly easily learned.

What about a good kick in the you know where for your obnoxious friend.

OP
A

Amaranth

Yeah Annie's song is lovely, unfortunately I had to sing it at my fathers funeral and I've not tried it on the Tenor.
Gonna go with Sting and see if I can persuade my daughter Emma to sing a verse.

Linky Lee

If it was me I would be out of there like a shot. Nothing worse than falling flat on our face, could destroy your confidence for ever! Only six months in, you should be at home practicing. I been at it just over two years now, and play second sax (one of two), with the chance of a six bar solo now and again in a learning band. And that's good enough for now, but when I'm practising at home, playing along with Lester Young etc I'm a star:welldone
But, if you must do this, why not the Beatles? Hey Jude, Penny Lane, She's Leaving Home, can sound quite bluesy. Good luck;}
I can't agree with some of your comments above. Whatever stage of development you're at you should always strive to be playing with others and especially others that are better than you. You learn so much and not just about how to play your instrument but how to play in a band too which is very hard and not easily or quickly learnt.

If you really want to progress you have to be outside of your comfort zone. A lot of the time you'll have to do this yourself. If 6 bars is enough for you at the moment next rehearsal give 12 and 24 bars a go! If you don't show others that you want to improve and develop a bigger role they won't offer you the chances.

I do agree though that some Beatles numbers do work very well in this kind of setting.

OP
A

Amaranth

I can't agree with some of your comments above. Whatever stage of development you're at you should always strive to be playing with others and especially others that are better than you. You learn so much and not just about how to play your instrument but how to play in a band too which is very hard and not easily or quickly learnt.

If you really want to progress you have to be outside of your comfort zone. A lot of the time you'll have to do this yourself. If 6 bars is enough for you at the moment next rehearsal give 12 and 24 bars a go! If you don't show others that you want to improve and develop a bigger role they won't offer you the chances.

I do agree though that some Beatles numbers do work very well in this kind of setting.
The problem with some of the Beatles stuff (and yes I do play them alone) is there are apparently some tricky guitar bits :confused:
Happy enough with Fields of Gold - at least it's short!

old git

Tremendous Bore

Oh dear Lee, I'll shall have to recommence my "Living on the back of us, lazy student campaign".
You are aware that Pee Dee was RN personnel and was something to do with radio, further he probably fought in as many wars trying to keep you free as I did, yet you choose to denigrate this aged gentleman, enjoying his last days, just to impress Amaranth.
Shame on you, however I'm sure that Poole Pete will keelhaul you personally and adequately.;}

Pee Dee

Oh yeah, I agree with you entirely, but I got the impression amaranth was on her own there, the only sax in the band, maybe I'm wrong:(
Sure, it is good to be playing with others better than you, but I am only one of two or sometimes three second tenors, so I can get away with miming the tricky (to me) bits. Would be happy to do more solo's but it all depends on the bandleader!
Anyway Amaranth, hope you get sorted. I have a beatles playalong book and CD which I greatly enjoy playing with. Penny Lane has a few tricky bits, and When I'm Sixty Four, She's Leaving Home - very sad:(

Pee Dee

Oh dear Lee, I'll shall have to recommence my "Living on the back of us, lazy student campaign".
You are aware that Pee Dee was RN personnel and was something to do with radio, further he probably fought in as many wars trying to keep you free as I did, yet you choose to denigrate this aged gentleman, enjoying his last days, just to impress Amaranth.
Shame on you, however I'm sure that Poole Pete will keelhaul you personally and adequately.;}
Nah, It's not allowed, health and safety you know. Anyway he lives in Pompey, that's punishment enough>:)

OP
A

Amaranth

Oh yeah, I agree with you entirely, but I got the impression amaranth was on her own there, the only sax in the band, maybe I'm wrong:(
Sure, it is good to be playing with others better than you, but I am only one of two or sometimes three second tenors, so I can get away with miming the tricky (to me) bits. Would be happy to do more solo's but it all depends on the bandleader!
Anyway Amaranth, hope you get sorted. I have a beatles playalong book and CD which I greatly enjoy playing with. Penny Lane has a few tricky bits, and When I'm Sixty Four, She's Leaving Home - very sad:(
Yes I'm the only non strummer/basher.
I like quite a few Beatles tunes (Hey Jude, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Lady Madonna, Sgt Pepper...etc etc) but the group of Wednesday people really don't play any that I've heard so far so I thought I could get away with Sting as it may be viewed as a little "cooler" by the more shallow members ;)
I played it through my daughters Guitar amp and I suppose, due to the no balanced XLR input, my home auduence of OH and teenaged daughters thought it sounded better and clearer without.
All else fails, someone else will just have to take over and sing it!

Linky Lee

Would be happy to do more solo's but it all depends on the bandleader!
That's what I'm getting at. If you want to do more you've got to step forward and push yourself. The bandleader won't randomly give you a bigger solo. You need to show that you want to give the bigger parts a go.

I've apparently served my sentence as I no longer live in Pompey but then again moving to the 'Heimat' later next month. Back in Reading in the meantime.

Pee Dee

That's what I'm getting at. If you want to do more you've got to step forward and push yourself. The bandleader won't randomly give you a bigger solo. You need to show that you want to give the bigger parts a go.

I've apparently served my sentence as I no longer live in Pompey but then again moving to the 'Heimat' later next month. Back in Reading in the meantime.
Yeah, I'm gonna push myself, promise:D
Reading? Oh no, that's even worse! Get back to Deutschland pronto!
I lived and worked in Darmstadt for a year, wish I never left:crying:

Pee Dee

Yes I'm the only non strummer/basher.
I like quite a few Beatles tunes (Hey Jude, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Lady Madonna, Sgt Pepper...etc etc) but the group of Wednesday people really don't play any that I've heard so far so I thought I could get away with Sting as it may be viewed as a little "cooler" by the more shallow members ;)
I played it through my daughters Guitar amp and I suppose, due to the no balanced XLR input, my home auduence of OH and teenaged daughters thought it sounded better and clearer without.
All else fails, someone else will just have to take over and sing it!
Oh well, in for a penny, in for a.......etc
Good luck, let us know what you chose to play, and how you got on.

Top Bottom