SYOS

I Teach the Saxophone.

Smiler

High I am new on here. I am a woodwind and brass teacher, living in the Liskeard area. (Close to Plymouth too). I got interested in the site by Googleing my-self and my name came up on here. So I thought might as well come clean. If any of you out there need lessons look me up on /www.musicteachers.co.uk You will find I am the cheapest in the area. I could charge a lot more, but when I learnt to play....... lessons were free. I then joined the army at age 15 and continued with my musical career there, again, I paid nothing. I only charge the bare minimum now, which earns me enough to live off. I play Trumpet in a local rock band The Various Assortments, and I also play in my local Brass Band (The Cornet.) I am a Woodwind/Brass teacher employed by the County of Cornwall, where I am employed on a part time basis. For me the Saxophone was the easiest instrument to learn, and in my vast experience I have found that students also pick it up very easily. So if you have any doubts or fears, give it a go, you will be surprised. Happy blowing.....Smiler.

Young Col

Welcome Smiler. Moz on here lives Liskeard way too.

Mention of Liskeard always brings back memories for me. When my sons were young we used to go on holiday to Cornwall and always made a trip to nearby Dobwalls and the narrow gauge steam railways theme park. We got to know the Southern family who owned it all and they let my younger lad Andrew drive several of the locos; quite a thrill for a ten year old! None of it is there now I gather. A pity.

Colin

Moz

Welcome Smiler. Moz on here lives Liskeard way too.

Mention of Liskeard always brings back memories for me. When my sons were young we used to go on holiday to Cornwall and always made a trip to nearby Dobwalls and the narrow gauge steam railways theme park. We got to know the Southern family who owned it all and they let my younger lad Andrew drive several of the locos; quite a thrill for a ten year old! None of it is there now I gather. A pity.

Colin
Two things: Mr. Smiler and I know each well as we both play in the same band. Of course I am so much better then he is...:))) but he teaches and I don't, oh and he can sight-read music and I can't (well, a bit).

Secondly: Yes, the theme park at Dobwalls is now an art gallery -- strangely; not sure if they have pictures of trains, probably not.

Cheers

Martin

Young Col

Martin
Yes I thought it was the same band but I was half way through my post and would probably have lost it all if I had gone back to check!

There used to be an art gallery there when the trains were at Dobwalls too. Mr Southern's other passion (apart from steam trains) was to collect a certain wildlife artist (who's name escapes me now) so perhaps they built that up. John Southern was so successful with his theme park, that started out as a pig farm, that he got an MBE for encouraging tourism in the County. I am told that the trains are now owned by someone near Bournemouth who was going to build a new theme park but couldn't get planning permission. We used to take the family to Rock. Great beaches, sailing, walks, pubs.... That was before the hurrah Henries (or should that be Harries?) took it over and priced it out of ordinary peoples' reach!

Colin

Top Bottom