All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

I sound like Kermit the Frog!

Chris98

I've just been listening to some of my tenor recordings, I've not listened to them for a while and I was struck by the fact that I sound like Kermit the Frog. So there are no miss understandings I'm talking about this guy:

Strangely enough his vocal characteristic wasn't the overall tonal quality I've been striving for all these years! And it's me, I can hear the 'Kermit' quality in all the recordings, regardless of mouthpiece.

It might take me a day or two to come to terms with this new revelation about my tone, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

If it's not too personal a question, has anyone else noticed a certain quality in their own tone like this?

Chris

half diminished

No mate but I did notice you sounded like Kermit. I just didn't know how to break the news. If it's any help, my ex looks a lot like Miss Piggy. I can put you in touch but only if you really upset me and I feel like really punishing you. >:)

Chris98

No mate but I did notice you sounded like Kermit. I just didn't know how to break the news. If it's any help, my ex looks a lot like Miss Piggy. I can put you in touch but only if you really upset me and I feel like really punishing you. >:)

Ian, I don't know what to say, or think for that matter! But alas to your kind offer to put me in touch with your ex, I must decline, humbly and with great respect... (I've grabbed my coat and running for the hills!)

It's the mike, :w00t:

blame the mike Chris >:)

we all do :mrcool

Kev,

You've hit the nail on the head, of course it has to be the mic, or the cable, thinking about it now I'm sure it must be the mic cable. I should have gone for the solid silver core with the triple wrap oxygen free cooper, sheathed in pure gold, with nano-carbon insulation, suspended 3" above the floor and always running East-West. That would account for the frequency mismatch no doubt enhanced by the potential impedance mismatch...

Or it could just be me! A mismatch between player and instrument. I'm checking back to see if I recorded during certain celestial movements that might account for the 'Kermit' nature of my tone, full moons have be known to affect people.

Chris

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I wouldn't worry. Kermit sounds great, one of my favourite songs is Halfway Down The Stairs.

EDIT: oops that not kermit:

Last edited:

Andante cantabile

There is nothing wrong with Kermit. You should be pleased that you can match his voice so accurately. Now just try to copy someone else (maybe Bert). If you are equally successful, you are home and hosed.

Mikec

Just to add a note of slight seriousness here, I'm not sure we hear ourselves as others hear us anyway. Didn't we all say, "Is that me?" the first time we heard our recorded voices? I'd guess it's the same with the sax. I think it's best to believe you have the best tone in the world and play accordingly. If people don't throw things you're doing fine.

half diminished

Just to add a note of slight seriousness here, I'm not sure we hear ourselves as others hear us anyway. Didn't we all say, "Is that me?" the first time we heard our recorded voices? I'd guess it's the same with the sax. I think it's best to believe you have the best tone in the world and play accordingly. If people don't throw things you're doing fine.

You're totally right here, we don't. The sound comes out of everywhere on a sax and so as the player you get a very limited experience. I've been playing either close to and facing a wall or into a corner whenever I practice but have just bought one of these sound reflectors that works a treat. I actually sound better than I thought which may be why my teacher rolls her eyes when I moan about my sound vs hers.

Chris98

Okay, watch this:

Then listen to this section: 'I've got a crush on you' I might have to do a cover of "Especially for you" just to make it a bit easier.

Is it just me or is there the same sort of 'swollen' tonality?

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris98

It gets better! Apparently it's a know problem and youtube is the best place to find answer:

It's for vocals but with a bit of modification I'm sure the solution isn't too far away.

AndyG

Well maybe I'm missing something here!! The video sounds to me like Kylie and Kermit.....the sound clip sounds like a nicely played sax.
I honestly can't hear the resemblance......now I'm worried what I may sound like:shocked: Bart simpson maybe :)))

half diminished

Okay, watch this:

Is it just me or is there the same sort of 'swollen' tonality?

All the best,

Chris

Not sure about this but Kyle's sure swollen my tonality. You should just give up and get back on the old gob iron mate >:)

It gets better! Apparently it's a know problem and youtube is the best place to find answer:

It's for vocals but with a bit of modification I'm sure the solution isn't too far away.

I used to work for a speech recognition software co. some years ago and we had a speech scientist called Caroline who could make all this tones and noises. She could re-create any regional accent from anywhere in the UK at will. Very clever.

Clivey

I can definately hear a higher harmonic which is buzzy. god knows . have you been EQ ing this recording? perhaps you have boosted this particula frequency too much or retarded other frequencies . It`s very easy to upset the original tone by over use of EQ

Chris98

The only EQ I've used is a Low frequency cut and a +1db boost at 3.5khz. The Low frequency cut is all but done at around 100Hz and that's only there in case of any physical vibrations i.e. banging the mic stand etc. And I'd challenge anyone to spot a 1dB boost or cut at any frequency, I probably nudge it by accident.

I was using a Lawton BB6 on this recording which is apparently a bright mouthpiece.

Rikki

Think yourself lucky you don't sound like Miss Piggy!! Is there someone out there who does? If so maybe you should get together and make sweet music together!

Top Bottom