support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz I Should Care. Looking for favourite rendition

TenorVibes

Locality
England, UK.
No longer have my vinyl collections. Gave them up when downgrading to smaller house. Deeply regret it now.

The version below (Benny Carter) is great but I miss the saxophone duet version between Coleman Hawkins and Benny Carter. The vinyl sleeve had a water colour illustration of both of them in the action. Facing each other, playing their tenor saxes. I've looked everywhere and can't find any reference to this version. It seems almost like as if its completely vanished from the face of the Earth. If anyone has any further information on where to get it please let me now here. I'll be in your debt.

I Should Care (Remastered) - Benny Carter
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDAqsrzL4r8

Are you sure about all the details ? Benny Carter was a multi-instrumentalist but mainly played alto saxophone and trumpet. I'm not aware of him recording on tenor saxophone and it would be strange to have a cover picture with him on tenor.

I found this recording from an album featuring both Hawkins and Carter with nice artwork on the cover (Carter on trumpet rather than tenor sax), but unfortunately the track listing on the sleeve from this eBay sale of the LP shows that it doesn't include "I Should Care".

View: https://youtu.be/6JcoTUu4CWI

Good luck in your search.

Rhys

Last edited:

rhysonsax​

No thats not the one. Prior to this month I had been looking for Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster. Having exhausted search options there, decided it must have been a rare collaboration with Carter where he used a tenor instead of an alto.

Mind you, this is at least 25 years ago, so, it probably could well have been Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster as I had orignally thought.

Locally, we used to have a 'Golden Oldies' store that held vintage vinyls from all genera. So, it was a pretty special place for a youth to go on a musical expedition. This is included finding a signed copy of Zoot Simms. How cool is that. At the time I didn't really appreciate any of it. Took it all for granted. It was only natural that it had to close down because of transition to CD's. The folly of youth hey :(

Thanks for helping out.

I have various LPs and CDs of two tenor and two saxophone recording dates. There are a few albums which appear to be two saxophonists but they only play individually rather than together. For instance:
Can you remember anything else about that recording such as other players, record label, live or studio ? And how certain are you about it being two tenors playing together and one of them being Hawk ?

It sounds like my sort of thing, so I will keep thinking and looking.

Rhys

PS This Coleman Hawkins discography doesn't include a single recording of "I Should Care".

According to the Wikipedia entry BC played A,C, T and S saxophone and also recorded.
Many of his record's appear to have been destroyed in record company fire.

Last edited:
I've never heard any recordings of Hawkins with Benny Carter on tenor. There is of course the classic album 'Coleman Hawkins encounters Ben Webster' where they play several ballads but not 'I Should Care'. Perhaps you are mistaking it for another tune?

View: https://youtu.be/sNmxCoWnTFw

The cover of this album might match your description of the artwork but sadly it is Hawk and Lester Young and it doesn't include "I Should Care" !

Similarly, this album has possibly matching artwork, but it's Hawk and Webster and doesn't include the relevant song !

And another album with nice artwork on the cover, this one Hawk, Webster and Benny Carter, but again not the song you are after.

I am keeping on looking and thinking.

Rhys

Last edited:
I wonder whether @Hankenstine or @mrpeebee have any ideas - it's their sort of territory.

Rhys
Thanks for making me aware of this thread Rhys.

I'm not ware of any recording with Coleman Hawkins and Benny Carter both on tenor. But Carter did play occasionally on tenor and I did read in a biography (not sure which one, I think it was Ben Webster's) that Carter had a big tenor sound, similar to the sound of Ben.

I've checked some old discography's of Benny and Coleman, but could find the tune listed in old USA recordings:

I know the both recorded extensively in the 30's in Europe and found some info on the Dutch recordings of both man together (I have them on LP), but it doesn't list 'I Should Care' with both man on tenor.

From Wikipedia:
Carter moved to London and spent two years as arranger for the BBC Big Band.[2] In England, France, and Scandinavia he recorded with local musicians, and he took his band to the Netherlands. In these settings, Carter played trumpet, clarinet, piano, alto and tenor saxophone, and provided occasional vocals.[1]

Here is an article about the Dutch recording engineer Ed Crommelin who was involved in making these Dutch 1930's recordings:

And here is the recording index of the Dutch DECCA recordings made in the 30's (also with Hawkins and Carter together, search for 'Carter' in the page using CRTL F):

So if this recording was ever made it might have been recorded in the UK or Scandinavia, but it also might not exist at all (mixing up memories is something which can happen easily!).

Thanks @mrpeebee .

One thing that I discovered is that "I Should Care" was composed in 1944 so any recording would have to be made after that.

Rhys

I think I might be on to something doing some further YT detective work. Will read posts soon - thanks for the audio feast you guys are providing - looking forward to digesting it all :)

I think I might be on to something doing some further YT detective work. Will read posts soon - thanks for the audio feast you guys are providing - looking forward to digesting it all :)

Looking forward to the results of your further detective work.

In the meantime here are some of the best recordings of I Should Care that I found in my searches, but these are just by one saxophonist rather than two.

Hank Mobley
View: https://youtu.be/7qMFusWD1LM

Lucky Thomspon
View: https://youtu.be/t9YzwuiRJE0

Jimmy Heath
View: https://youtu.be/uNgL54_FUYw

Rhys

PS I Should Care would make a good Ballad of the Month some time.

Last edited:
Boys, I think I found it....omg! omg! omg! omg! omg! I think I've wet my pants! I think I've just had a saxogasm! I've been searching for past two days. Its getting really late, so tired. Not going to tell you anything until I've ordered it. Slight disappointment. Its a remastered CD not the original vinyl version. Beggars can't be choosers hey.

I knew If I saw the cover I would instantly recognise it. The cover and the first track was the key to this mystery. The details were nothing like what I had expected. It's been a long while.

I just hope, it lives up to the expectations of my older self and I can relive the moment when a doe-eyed 17 year old first discovered a whole new virgin musical territory. The fact that I discovered it with the Crème de la Crème of that era makes it even more appropriate to celebrate.

Going to get up first thing tomorrow morning. Not going to make an online order. Want to speak to someone on the phone and make sure its going to arrive safe and sound.

Guy's I can't thank you enough for all your generosity in this search. I wish I could give all of you a massive bear hug.

Will reveal everything once I've secured that order and had some shut eye.

Love you all loads! Take care! Be happy and enjoy life! Virtual bear hug for all of you.

[EDIT] Okay I feel a bit guilty leaving you in the dark so some what cryptic clue: TRIO

Last edited:
I'm too hyped. I can't go to sleep.

Going to celebrate with good old Leo P and the rest of the saxotastic peeps of Too Many Zooz and Luck Chops then force myself to sleep.

Love Leo P. He made some passing remarks about how he uses breathe attack in combo with tongue attacks in tonguing technique (Cardiff University Interview, Wales, UK). This was perfect advice for me to deal with tongue muscle fatique when doing 7 attacks per beat. Great Lad.

Goodnight for real.

Too Many Zooz - "Bedford"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMyqasy2Lco

Lucky Chops @ Herald Sq
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJ1KBOdbX8

Update: Been tracking it. It's been dispatched and could arrive any day now. This was the first Coleman Hawkins vinyl I bought, so even if it doesn't contain that duet with Ben Webster its still has a lot of personal significance. Want to appraise it when it arrives before saying anything here.

You known, I asked for 1 gold piece on this thread, even if that happens to be a silver one, you guys have provided me with many gold pieces above so its a win win situation. The waiting and anticipation is gruelling.

Here's another gem I found on YT

Coleman Hawkins - My Blue Heaven
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaxs6-3mS1s

The version below (Benny Carter) is great but I miss the saxophone duet version between Coleman Hawkins and Benny Carter.

Update: Been tracking it. It's been dispatched and could arrive any day now. This was the first Coleman Hawkins vinyl I bought, so even if it doesn't contain that duet with Ben Webster its still has a lot of personal significance.

I thought you where looking for a duet between Hawk and Benny Carter on tenor (in the first post of this thread)?

In the latest post you're mentioning a duet between Hawk and Ben Webster.

This thread has introduced me to a new jazz standard and several excellent recordings.

Whilst waiting for the big reveal, maybe the rest of us could run a sweepstake of how many of the original five clues turn out to be right:
  • Song = I Should Care
  • Two tenor saxophone recording
  • Artist 1 = Coleman Hawkins
  • Artist 2 = Benny Carter
  • LP sleeve has watercolour picture of two tenor saxophonists in action
Rhys

Back
Top Bottom