support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones I Pulled The Trigger. New Vintage Sax Coming To Me For My Birthday.

Jazz Is All

The hell with austerity. After 8 months of being mostly confined to the house to protect my vulnerable old body from the uncaring Virus, I decided to get a new Boy-Toy and self-present for my upcoming Birthday. With the help of suggestions from members of the Cafe as well as info gleaned from SOTW, Bassic Sax, and YouTube I bought a Couesnon Monopole II Alto that a seller in France had on ePlay this week. It's a very well maintained and clean horn although maybe the bell engraving is not as wonderful as the ones a bit earlier. Mechanics-wise it looks to be the same instrument as others I saw on Bassic Sax and elsewhere, so I have hopes that it will be a winner in the most important respects, i.e., tone, sound, intonation, and ergos that I like.

saxophone alto Couesnon Monopole II | eBay

Last edited:
I don't know these at all! Heard of them, but thought they were rather old and undesirable... This one looks very good. So tell us how it sounds. I'm curious.

Thanks with Hugs and kisses to you all. Having a community of knowledgeable sax lovers to help is really a gift right there. I really appreciate it everyone.

Now I have to keep from champing at the bit while waiting for it to arrive via la Poste trying not to sweat bullets thinking about possible in-transit damage.

:happydance: :banana::clapping::D :old:

Thanks with Hugs and kisses to you all. Having a community of knowledgeable sax lovers to help is really a gift right there. I really appreciate it everyone.

Now I have to keep from champing at the bit while waiting for it to arrive via la Poste trying not to sweat bullets thinking about possible in-transit damage.

:happydance: :banana::clapping::D :old:
Happy birthday ! What a great birthday present. Looks absolutely spectacular. I love to see you going exotic. Time to PM the “Lost” guy for some icing on the cake.
Don’t worry it will arrive much quicker than your BC did. If the seller put that case in a shipping carton you should be just fine. When should it arrive? February 14th
:cheers:

Would be great to hear your assessment of the instrument. It looks in fantastic condition, as the engraving suggests it is an early model, possible 1940s. I think by the 1950s they were calling that model Monopole Conservatoire.

The body and keywork all confirm what is commonly regarded as a Monopole II model. The version before that had a Monopole and a Monopole Conservatoire version, with the latter having extra trill keys, and a pearl on the front F touch piece.

Chris

The hell with austerity. After 8 months of being mostly confined to the house to protect my vulnerable old body from the uncaring Virus, I decided to get a new Boy-Toy and self-present for my upcoming Birthday. With the help of suggestions from members of the Cafe as well as info gleaned from SOTW, Bassic Sax, and YouTube I bought a Couesnon Monopole II Alto that a seller in France had on ePlay this week. It's a very well maintained and clean horn although maybe the bell engraving is not as wonderful as the ones a bit earlier. Mechanics-wise it looks to be the same instrument as others I saw on Bassic Sax and elsewhere, so I have hopes that it will be a winner in the most important respects, i.e., tone, sound, intonation, and ergos that I like.

saxophone alto Couesnon Monopole II | eBay
These are very good players and not far off vintage Selmer's sound. Bargain!

If @Jazz Is All will excuse my intrusion, if anyone is up for a challenge, I spotted this...

Missing octave mechanism (called "Singh" for some reason?), some dents, who knows what the pads are like. BUT... may suit a repairer here perhaps? :confused2:

Back
Top Bottom