support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner I need to learn...

Hellybelly

Locality
UK
...to check I don't need to replace my reed when I'm struggling with my tone. For the last few days, I've been feeling really downhearted about my playing. My playing has been really squeaky, I've struggling to hit low notes without a lot of effort, and sounding kind of muffled. At wind band rehearsal on Thursday, I was feeling like the only thing I was adding was squeaks and odd notes. :(

I was starting to feel like I couldn't play at all, wondering if I should just cut my losses and go back to playing flute. This evening, had the genius idea to try a new reed - bingo! I can play again - it's a miracle! :)

What an idiot! Anyone else do this? I think I need some kind of sign on my music stand to remind me to try a new reed if I suddenly can't play any more.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Lol. Usually the end of life for a reed is that you can't play it any more. If you keep a few broken in and play them in turn, you'll soon spot the dead one.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
What you are going through is very normal for a player starting out, not knowing whether it is you or the set-up or the saxophone. One way to diagnose the source of the problem is to play the "tone producer" which is the saxophone and neck (crook) apart from the sax. If the tone producer works and the sax does not then it is a problem with the instrument itself. If the tone producer doesn't work, it is probably a chipped mouthpiece or a poor or broken reed. It is very important to make sure the reed is wet and the end is flat before trying to play. Even a good reed will not play well if the end isn't flat.

Hellybelly

Locality
UK
I think I'll try having a couple in rotation. And I do struggle to know if it's me, set-up or sax. I guess it comes with experience.

The thing that made me laugh the most is that this isn't the first time I've done this!

Top Bottom