All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

I need someone to talk saxophones with!!

TakeTwo

Hello!
My poor husband is sick of me 'trying' to chat to him about what I'm playing now or trying to play or want to play. Poor man does not get it at all!

I'm Steph and I started playing Alto when I was 12. I gave up after uni for 8/9 years and then dabbled for a couple of years happy to play in my local community wind band.

Now, however, I have started having lessons again with a fantastic teacher who has really awakened my passion for the instrument again. I wish I hadn't given up for all those years. I feel like this is what I'm supposed to be doing! I would love love love to play 'properly'!

I'm practicing for as long every day as my children will let me get away with but I'm frustrated at how slowly I'm progressing.

Anyway...I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you, and having someone to talk to about my sax playing!

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hello TakeTwo,
You won't have trouble finding someone to talk saxophones with, it's shutting us up that's the problem.
Hearty welcome from the grim North.
Andy

TomMapfumo

Hi TT!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Alto Sax support group - open all hours! Fire away about any issue of current interest and I'll happily join in. Great that you have found an enthusiastic teacher. Do you have any specific aims with regard to playing sax? Anyway let us know a bit more about your playing, your musical interests and stuff.

Kind regards
Tom

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Hello there Take Two

Another female cafe occupant here, who wishes she started earlier! You've already heard from Tom, and he's been a constant source of revelation and bank account damage for me :D

However, he's is one of many who have been supportive, informative, friendly and jovial around here to make me feel welcome, and I just know they will all extend the same warmth to you too.

Chat away. There's some controversy, learning, and general mucking about to be done.

I believe the only real rule that we all stick to is that we must drink coffee whilst in the cafe, otherwise we get chucked out!

Mel

TakeTwo

Hmmm. Specific aims??

Honestly, I have a too many aims to list! And I know that I really need to break them down to achieve them.

I took my grade 8 (classical) when I was 16 and my first aim would be to bring my playing back up to Grade 8 standard. My sight reading is not great so that needs a lot of work; I'd love to take some jazz grades but for that my scales/improv skills and theory need to be miles better. My tone's not bad but confidence needs some work too - thankfully that's being addressed to a certain extent in the Community Wind band I play in because I'm playing Harlem Nocturne at our next concert. Eeek and yay all at the same time.

I guess my main/final aim is to play well enough for people to want to listen to me play!!

BigMartin

Hi Take Two.

Your musical background sounds quite a bit like mine, except I played clarinet until I was 30, and then had 20 years off. PIcked up a sax and thought "this is where I belong". Your comment about wanting to play "properly" made me think you might be interested in this book:

http://www.robbuckland.com/content/playing-saxophone-book-rob-buckland.

I've been working on the early stages of it lately and it's really helping me. Rob's a really good player and his department has turned out some excellent students over the years.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I'm practicing for as long every day as my children will let me get away with but I'm frustrated at how slowly I'm progressing.
Welcome to the forum. I feel the same, but no children to blame. Maybe I should get some.

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Steph and welcome to the cafe :D

Enjoy your new journey

Maybe I should get some.
I could possibly arrange 2 grandchildren, but best not tell my daughters ;} hmmmm now which ones cry the most

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Stephanie.

Remind me please, what is it like to be twenty-one?

ENJOY!​™

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe:)

I am sure you will find all you need and more on here.

Jx

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Welcome to the forum. I feel the same, but no children to blame. Maybe I should get some.
The only good excuse for having children is to have someone around to fix the blank screen on the computer and change tv channels for you. Other than that ........ really you've been lucky :shrug:

Mine has left home now and has her own place. My home ......... BLISS!

Don't get kids, get a dog instead. Much more loyal :)

TakeTwo

Remind me please, what is it like to be twenty-one?

ENJOY!​™
If I could remember I'd let you know!! That was 10 years ago :)

My kids are fairly tolerant...the younger one (18 months) tends to scream and shout at me to let me know she's heard enough; the older one (4) now sings along to 'Stick It To 'Em' and asks me to play the 'diddly diddly' one. :-D

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Welcome to the the cafe - enjoy the coffee. Wish there were cakes too ... Who fancies baking some?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom