support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones I need help! What a name this saxophone?

Wint

Locality
Russia
What a name this saxophone? At the bottom in 1960.
The rest is in the photo.
Sax2.jpg

What a name this saxophone?
At the bottom of the barrel is the date: 1960, and below, hidden under the ring figures: 023
The rest is in the photo.
Sax2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wint, welcome to the cafe. I think you may be our first Russian member in the cafe.
Sorry I can't help with your sax.

Hi Wint,
I'm only guessing, but it could be an old chinese copy of a Selmer.I'm sure the Selmer expert's on here will soon let you know if i'm anywhere close.
Regards Rob.

Well!
In Russia forum users have suggested that this Yanagisawa of the first, but not China.
In the sixties, the Chinese do not know what a saxophone!:D

But it sounds better than Yamaha-62. Tried only E the second and third octaves.
Other notes may not play, I need to make repairs.

In the sixties, the Chinese do not know what a saxophone!
...Hi Mr Wint They still dont! first impressions are of a chinese copy of a Selmer, but if you look, as well as the orientle script you also have the "rising sun" which is japanese, so quite possibly a very early Yamagibora, (sorry couldent resist) Yanagisawa.

I stand corrected, wasn't sure if the lettering was Chinese or Japanese.

I just want to know, for this instrument is justified to be an expensive repair?

Hi Wint.

Welcome. I think the writing says Shanghai Wind Music Factory (Shanghai Guanyue chang), or something like that. If you can give me a better photograph of that part, I may be able to be more certain.

Thanks Wint.

This is much better. It says Shanghai guanyue-qi which translates as Shanghai Wind Instruments.

The character "yue" is in simplified form. This might suggest that it was made after the establishment of the PRC in 1949. However, many simplified characters were in common use before that, and on its own it is not a reliable guide to dating.

Thank you for your help!
Simply put: Chinese saxophone - Chinese pads, but not anymore. Do I understand? And so, a few notes sound brighter and clearer than the Yamaha-62.
Tested on the mouthpiece Lebayle Studio + Bari reed plastic.

It's a chinese Selmer copy called "Lark". I bouhgt one in the late 70's as a "reapair-traning-sax". Terrible saxes. The posts were not solderd on. The body and the post were pressed in one piece and the quaility was so bad that the saxes didn't make the freight to Sweden. I sold my sax to music shop and they used as a sign ouside thier store. It was ok as sign!! Don't buy if you're looking for a sax to play. The Dutch saxman Leo van Oostrom mentioned this brand in his article "Saxologic" back in the mid 70's.

Thomas

Thank you!
I got this tool for free. The man from whom I bought a tenor Conn10M (259 ***) gave me to load. Another plus tenor mouthpieces: Amati and Goldbeck (http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Goldbeck.html)
I myself do repairs, so the cost will be only buy pads.
I also do repair these mouthpieces.
repair.jpg

When I say a Selmer copy it means that it looked as a Selmer MkVI. I didn't play like a Selmer! I think they just made a copy from MK VI as pattern. When Yanigisawa and Yamaha did thier "Selmer like" they made new tools as well. They did better tools, and also manufactoring methods, that made the saxes so the intonation became better than Selmers. They quality was also more even compared to a Selmer of that time.

I don't remember if the Lark saxes were stamped with "Lark" on the bell. Maybe it was a nickname for the bird on the bell. A common joke here in Sweden was that the Lark was a really "Pick Up the Pieces" (AWB song) sax!

Good luck with your sax!

Thomas

I don't speak Chinese! The silver plate wasn't very good either, was it :) What's it like, is it any good?

Thank you for the information and arguments.
Hopefully I will soon make the repairs. I'm wondering what is the price he may be on e-bay?
Here are some pictures for discussion.

Back
Top Bottom