All profit supporting   special needs music

I must be crazy ...

B

blowsoft

... but I've started to learn saxophone in my mid-40s. I have no previous experience with woodwind or brass, just some piano (now rather sporadic), and a bit of voice training as a child/teen. My daughter plays clarinet, and has recently begun playing alto sax, and my son is learning the trumpet. Their enthusiasm rubbed off, and after a bit of honking one day on my daughter's alto, I decided to go for it ... except that I'm doing the tenor.

I've rented a Yamaha YTS280, and started lessons with my daughter's amazing and renowned teacher. I'm really excited to be taken on, but feel rather unworthy. It's been 20 days since that first try on my daughter's YAS275. On the tenor, I can sound all the notes in the bottom two octaves (just about in the case of low C, B & Bb), with or without tonguing, and I can just about play a couple of favourite tunes (Edelweiss, Godfather theme, etc.). I've been an avid classical and jazz listener since my 20s, so there are so many things I'd like to be able to play, even in simplified form. My teacher has started me out on O'Neill's Jazz method for saxophone. Even the starter tunes are rather nice!

Anyhow, I've really enjoyed this site and "taming ...", so I thought I should join and start more mouthpiece and reed strength threads. Hello All!I

QWales

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
Welcome to the site blowsoft. I think you'll find you're probably one of the youngsters around here. Enjoy.

Chris

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Haha, there are a few crazy sax players round here Blowsoft. Welcome to
the Cafe

zelda

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
Welcome to the Café. You're never too old. I started at around 60 and I'm 65 now. And I haven't lost interest.
Jim

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome to the Café :)

There are many that started older and with less musical knowledge, enjoy

Jx

trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Welcome to the cafe blowsoft

There are many that started older and with less musical knowledge, enjoy

Jx
That would be me !! Zilch nowt nothing, but the journey is still enjoyable :)
and older :(

Jonesy

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Locality
Birmingham, UK
Welcome from me too.
I started at 61 just over a year ago never having played any instrument with any skill, and completely unable to make head not tail of music.
Mid-40s ? You're a youngster!
Glad you're doing the tenor.

Alc.

Alc.

Locality
High plains of N/W New Mexico.
Crazy? Nah...just because I started playing around the first of the year and now have five horns? (but most of them will be Xmas presents for grand-niece and nephews)

B

blowsoft

Five horns, Al C.? Now, that's all out. Makes me think. While I was looking at the student tenors with a view to not pay rentals for any longer than necessary, I was shown a used (but nice!) Selmer SA80 Mk 2 for £400 more than a new YTS62. They said to have a blow just for the hell of it, but I said I'd come back another day for that. It's got a lighter coloured lacquer, and even my fingers can tell that the keys would be lovely to work if one could go at any pace. Seems like a nice opportunity, but surely came much too early in the game for me. Methinks a student model until I can play a bit.

Alc.

Alc.

Locality
High plains of N/W New Mexico.
Student models can make nice sounds, too, Blowsoft. My wife has mentioned that I might have problems playing while wearing a straight-jacket. I think she was kidding.

Greg Strange

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Greetings from 'Downunder' blowsoft...looks like you may have the formation of a family "horn section" - Blowsoft and the Family Horns perhaps?

Enjoy playing the sax...

Greg S.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Oh boy! You are going to donate horns to the family! Let's speak after Christmas!

saxyman

saxyman

Café Supporter
Locality
Medway Kent
Welcome to the mad house.
You are only a baby to some of the members, so get stuck in and enjoy,
Dave.

chuckd

chuckd

Locality
Lovely Long Beach, CA USA
Welcome- enjoy your stay! Can't wait to see video of the inevitable "Family Sax Battle"...

old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Welcome to the caff©, Blowsoft.

I choose not to make a salacious remark.

ENJOY!

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Welcome to the caffé

Jay

Jay

Locality
Northumberland
Hi Blowsoft, welcome to the Cafe, from another tenor newbie (at 50, so you're a mere youngster) :)

Pyrografix

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Welcome on board!

J

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
A warm welcome from me too. You made a good choice with the tenor as there is nothing to beat the sound and feel of the tenor saxophone. Enjoy. Have a look at James Rae's "Easy Saxophone Duets" when you are ready.

Jim.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom