All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

I just hit the 2nd E flat and 3rd B flat overtones!

VirusKiller

I've been struggling with the 2nd Eb overtone (3rd harmonic) for some time, but have finally nailed it. The trick I found - out of frustration TBH - was to sing the note into the mouthpiece and then, as quick as possible, blow the note. Note "imagination" made real, if you like. Voila! Out it popped. A little bit of practice later and the sung note is so short, it's virtually not there. It seems to me that the ability to start the note quickly with a lot of pressure (= diaphragm strength and control) is the key, as well as the note imagination (= vocal chord and embouchure shape) bit.

I then realized that the 3rd B flat overtone (4th harmonic) is the same note and I cracked that too. It needs a *lot* of diaphragm support to produce it cleanly, but it's there!

Hope this helps someone else out there.

TomMapfumo

It must be quite similar to playing the trumpet. With pressing no valves I can blow C G C E G Bb C, but I must have the note in my mind in order to play it.

Congratulations on an important personal achievement!
Kind regards
Tom

VirusKiller

Thanks Tom. Yes, it must be similar. As I said above, having the note in your mind essentially gets your vocal chords, mouth cavity and tongue position into the right shape for producing said note.

Two Voices

Nice one Joel! It's a great feeling when it comes together! I'm only going up as high as F# on the Palm Keys! Altissimo isn't something I've gotten around to yet! Having said that, thanks for the tip! Might give it a whirl later to see how badly I can blow it :)))
Well done on reaching your set goal! :welldone

Top Bottom