support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

I just got a surprise

One of the most incredible similar experiences I had was in San Francisco. Wife and I landed there and during the landing, something happened to my head, it felt like a mini-stroke but was probably just sinus-related. I mention this because I was in a state of fear and shock. At baggage controil, a big tall gent practically grabbed our bags and said "Need a ride to the city?" He had something "limo" on a cap or shirt. I was in no condition to negotiate, but I was wondering if he was going to slit our throats when we walked in to the parking garage. (Again, my state of mind.) He led us to a limo, all right, but with a torn roof cloth and a little the worse for wear. Nothing about the gentleman was anything but affable, he was not threatening, all this was in my recovering mind. He graciously opened the door, and we got in the car.

As he started the engine, he hit a button on the dash and this came on.

My outlook on life and travel completely changed. By the way, other than Naima, I think Wise One and Crescent are near the very top of my Trane list.

One of the most incredible similar experiences I had was in San Francisco. Wife and I landed there and during the landing, something happened to my head, it felt like a mini-stroke but was probably just sinus-related. I mention this because I was in a state of fear and shock. At baggage controil, a big tall gent practically grabbed our bags and said "Need a ride to the city?" He had something "limo" on a cap or shirt. I was in no condition to negotiate, but I was wondering if he was going to slit our throats when we walked in to the parking garage. (Again, my state of mind.) He led us to a limo, all right, but with a torn roof cloth and a little the worse for wear. Nothing about the gentleman was anything but affable, he was not threatening, all this was in my recovering mind. He graciously opened the door, and we got in the car.

As he started the engine, he hit a button on the dash and this came on.

My outlook on life and travel completely changed. By the way, other than Naima, I think Wise One and Crescent are near the very top of my Trane list.
Great story, I do love Coltrane :)

Jx

Once hitched a lift, in heavy rain, soaked to the bone, in Crete, in a cement mixer lorry

Playing in the cab was Riders on the Storm
I once drove a truck from Munich to the Turkish Iranian border, I put the radio on and Talking Heads once in a lifetime came on " And you may find yourself in another part of the world, And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large Automobile, And you may ask yourself well. How did I get here."0

for some reason I rarely listen to Crescent, so thanks for reminding me :)
I think the "conversation" he has with himself when the piano lays out is very much what he was about at his peak. The whole album along with Ballads are my favorites.

Super tune and Great story. I no longer perform Naima, because the Texas crowd didn't seem to appreciate it. They turn into zombies from Zombie Land...
t

@s.mundi I was playing in a bar and a speech slurred drunk woman kept yelling "Play something slow!" I called and started a song we used to play with John Klemmer, the first four notes were similar to I want to Talk About You, another beautiful Coltrane rendition, a major seventh melody. Just after the downbeat, she yelled "That sucks, play somthin' else!"
At the end of the first set, the owner came up, gave us the night's pay and said in an understanding manner, "Thanks, guys."
Ya see, it was a country bar in the Clovis foothills and we got a call at he last minute to sub for a country band. We didn't even have a singer. I still remember that woman's "request", though.

Back
Top Bottom