supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

I just can't win (or lose)

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
At ten pin bowling today, it was all neck and neck at the 9th bowl (not sure what the correct term is).

I had 75, my wife had 76, my son Jim had 73 and his friend had 72.

In the previous game Jim's friend beat him, so it would be nice if Jim got at least a higher score (kids being what they are and taking this so seriously).

Anyway as it 'appened it was my last bowl, Jim had beat his friend by one, but if I managed to lose this, he would have been equal winner with his mum. Nice result.

So I bowled my final ball with my eyes shut.

Guess what?

A strike of course.

I really don't want to be "competitive dad"

Moz

At ten pin bowling today, it was all neck and neck at the 9th bowl (not sure what the correct term is).

I had 75, my wife had 76, my son Jim had 73 and his friend had 72.

In the previous game Jim's friend beat him, so it would be nice if Jim got at least a higher score (kids being what they are and taking this so seriously).

Anyway as it 'appened it was my last bowl, Jim had beat his friend by one, but if I managed to lose this, he would have been equal winner with his mum. Nice result.

So I bowled my final ball with my eyes shut.

Guess what?

A strike of course.

I really don't want to be "competitive dad"
Trust me, a score of 75 at the ninth frame is not competitive!! :)))

Sorry >:)

Martin

Moz

Trust me, a score of 75 at the ninth frame is not competitive!! :)))

Sorry >:)

Martin
I forgot to add. If, in the tenth frame, you get a strike on your first ball, the pins are set up again and you get two more shots. From 75 in the ninth, three strikes in the tenth will take your score to 105! Keep practising.

Martin

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Best way is to bowl with your eyes open - and put it in the gutter..... Hamming it up and cursing afterwards adds to the effect... Second Moz' comments, although people on 75 after the 9th aren't likely to hit 105....

Ricwsax

Dunno about competitive dads, what about competitive children? My daughter, when she was thirteen, announced she'd like to learn to play sax. As a regular player myself, I was delighted. I fixed her up with an old Berg Larsen alto I'd bought in the seventies (not great but playable) and arranged for her to have individual lessons at school so that she'd learn to play properly. All went well for a couple of years and she started taking the grade exams. She took grade 5 and on the day she attended her next lesson and was given the results I happened to be around. When she came in the door I anxiously asked how she'd done. "I passed" she said. Before I could begin appropriate celebrations she added "you only got grade 4 didn't you dad" (I never was a great one for formal structure) "so, I've done better than you, here's your sax back. I only did it to beat you." And she's not touched a sax since.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
And then to make things worse, yesterday I offered some football training in the garden. I wanted to do right foot and heading practice, but he insisted on goalkeeping.

So I took a few penalties. He saved them all, but his finger hurt after the third one. I kissed it better of course...

But after 5 hours at A & he is told that with a broken finger he can't play for six weeks.

Ricwsax

Commiserations re the broken finger. However, if it's his writing hand then he may not be able to do any schoolwork for six weeks - you could be a hero after all.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Has he forgiven you yet? My father bashed me over the head with the coal scuttle once (accident, I think I ran into it), I still have the scar...

Better be careful, those social workers are really trigger happy these days. Mental abuse, now physical... >:)

Top Bottom