Saxophones I have the wrong front F key on my new Yanagisawa TWO20

Alex9

Café Supporter
Locality
London, Greater London
Hi everyone
I've just seen this on my TWO20:
20200908_163122.jpg

To my eyes this looks like a T992 front F key!? The tenor is marked as WO20 and has a 0037**** serial number. Is there anything else that I should look for to see if this has a T992 set up and not the improved ergonomics of the TWO20.

Thanks. (Confused) Alex

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't match the publicity around a newly designed front F key and related pictures I've seen.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't match the publicity around a newly designed F# key and related pictures I've seen.
That's what I thought. It plays great, but I want to know it's got all the right bits and pieces the latest model should have. I paid for a TWO20!

Ahhh....indeed.

Also...G# touch pearl ? A quick perusal of TW02 images seems to show it to be a metal touch (?)

(for reference, TW02 from Kessler site):

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.44.26 AM.png

Last edited:
When did they move the F# key to the left hand??:headscratch:

F key ???
Yes! In my confusion I've moved it up a semitone. F KEY. Exactly. Thanks Pete. I've corrected it now.

Last edited:
I was just thinking, A front F key with rocking mechanism to play F#.

Naaah.

Where did you buy it? My first thought is FAKE! Lots of counterfeit Yanys around.

Where did you buy it? My first thought is FAKE! Lots of counterfeit Yanys around.
I bought it from a reputable UK music shop that I've used many times. I'm hoping it's just that the wrong F key has been mistakenly put on this saxophone, at the build stage.

It does feel slightly lighter and slimmer that the first TWO20 I tried, but I put that down to manufacturing variables over time.

Really annoyed tbh - I just want to get on with playing the tenor.

I'd want a new replacement sax, no messing about with "we can order in the correct part and fit it."

Who knows what else is wrong with your Frankenyany. Don't accept anything less than this. DO go armed with proof it's wrong, ideally from the Yany website.

DO ask for compensation for your time, worry, and disappointment.

Personally I'd also email Yany direct with photos, the name of the shop (to check it's an authorised reseller for Yany), AND ask Yany to liaise with the shop regarding the replacement and confirm the new one's serial number IS one they have supplied to this dealer.

Be VERY suspicious of the music shop until you have Yany's direct reassurances.

Yany variables will be minimal with absolutely NO weight or dimension differences.

Your further disclosures regarding weight and diameter further convince me you have a fake. Even if it is a mistakenyany you MUST get a full sax replacement.

Last edited:
At best this is a 'mistake' - but still wrong, at worst it is 'passing off' which is illegal. Whatever, what DavidUK has written above is correct. No ifs, buts or maybes - 100% brand new certified replacement. And definitely check that they're an authorised dealer.

This is the TWO20, also from the Kessler site, Notice the pearl on the G#.
But yes, it looks like the wrong part @Alexandra! I'd be having words with the shop that it came from. Bummer.
:headscratch: That's funny...my photo posted above yours is from the Kessler site also....and it shows no pearl G#. Some pics on internet also show a metal touch. Although I got to that photo via this websearch, yanagisawaTwo2 at DuckDuckGo .... (the pic I provided appears third row of websearch images, very clearly a metal touch):

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 6.08.44 PM.png

Also here is the metal touch again:

Interesting, hmmmm.....well...good on that !....so the pearl touch appears on (at least) some of 'em....

Yes, I guess I'd agree with the assessment...they just slapped on a different front F piece (guessing it fit into the stack rod just the same way as the 02's does)....

So question becomes, FWIW...is this worth returning a horn for ? If you can do it very conveniently, maybe.

Your other option - complain and ask for a proper AW02 front F key part, factory part, for free of course. That's probably what I'd do...(as long as you can confirm everything else is bona-fide 02) Then if the one on it suits you OK, just hold onto the 'correct' part and when you bring her in for her first servicing, have the tech swap them out then....

Last edited:
Have you registered it yet with Yanagisawa? Was the serial number accepted?

FWIW...I don't think this is a huge thing to stress over, really.

I am certain if you contact the store they will resolve one way (replace horn) or other (get a Yani original part and send it to you for free so you can just keep playing your horn).

Yeah, a slight ....drag......but....don't overthink it, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom